This baked potato salad is a perfect dinner side dish. Traditionally most potato salad recipes are cold, but I love a good salad hot dish and served next to chicken, this one is a complimentary and rounds out the dinner plate. With the little bits of pepper, onion and carrots mixed in with the dill, this is a fully loaded baked potato side dish that’s worth trying!
Looking for other potato salad side dishes? Try Dill Potato Salad, Red Potato Salad (cold) or look through all of our potato salad side dish recipes and pick what looks good! If you love potatoes and hate the carbs, make sure you try this Cauliflower Mashed Potato “Mocktatoes” recipe that should fit the bill just nicely without the added calories.
Loaded Baked Potato Salad Side Dish
This loaded baked potato salad with dill is a totally delicious and easy to make hot side dish. When you traditionally think of potato salad, most people consider the cold kind with cut up potatoes an a mixture of mayo and mustard. This recipe throws that out the window with a delicious dressing that smothers your potatoes and is more of a take on mashed potatoes than salad dressing.
- 6 russett potatoes, cut into 1/2″ pieces -i did not peel. because you don’t typically peel a baked potato. you could certainly peel them.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1/4 cup matchstick/shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- This baked potato salad recipe isn’t hard to make and isn’t long to assemble, but you need to cook your potatoes, so allow about 20-30 minutes for that and then assembly, about 10 minutes and baking time.
- For me the key to recipes, baking and cooking is the PREP. Do yourself a favor and grab all the ingredients below and line up with your measuring spoons and cups. This keeps the chaos down in the kitchen when you need the next ingredient and I personally find, the kitchen much cleaner.
Baked Potato Salad (HOT)
Place potatoes in a large stock pot and cover with water, at least 1″ above the potatoes.
Heat potaotes on medium high until boiling.
Reduce heat to medium (to prevent potatoes from boiling over) and cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
Drain and rinse with cold water.
Place potatoes into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
In a large skillet, add oil and onion and saute until brown and tender.
Add flour, mustard, salt, celery seed, pepper, water and vinegar.
Mix well and heat on medium low until thick.
Add potatoes, green pepper and carrots to a large mixing bowl.
Stir in the thick onion mixture.
Mix well until all potatoes are evenly coated.
Spoon half of the potato mixture into prepared pan and top with half of the cheese.
Add remaining potato mixture and top with remaining cheese and sprinkle with dill.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until center is hot.
This baked potato salad serves 6 –
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 6 people
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 272 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 4mg Sodium: 463mg Carbohydrates: 49g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 4g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 7g