Chocolate Dipped Oreo’s are the perfect no bake dessert that can be made and set in under 30 minutes. Delicious in white or milk chocolate, you decorating Oreo’s with sprinkles for the holiday has never been more fun!
This is THE perfect Christmas Eve family night recipe that the smallest to the tallest kid can get in on.
Way back when I was in college (like way back…way, way back if I am being honest) getting mail from my grandmother was such a special thing. I’d be alone in the my dorm room, miles away from home, and a box would arrive.
With a tin.
WITH COOKIES INSIDE.
Not just cookies but homemade cookies. My grandmother made some amazing chocolate chip cookies as big as your hand, dipped pretzels and chocolate dipped Oreo’s. I think this is probably where my love of Oreo’s came from. As my favorite cookie, I am an advocate for the “3 cookie” serving size.
One you eat really quickly and the next you savor.
I know this inst necessarily a chocolate dipped Oreo recipe because quite honestly, Oreo’s come already pretty darn near perfect. But there is something about the crunch into the hardened chocolate that is so satisfying.
Plus, if you dip them in milk (and you SHOULD) the chocolate helps them not get as soggy as quickly.
Easy Desserts for a Slumber Party
My house is always full of kids (teens to be exact) and making chocolate dipped Oreo is the one thing I can trust all the girls to do. No oven needed, tons of fun, and so easy to customize.
You can buy your favorite Oreo flavor (or really a few flavors), a variety of colored or regular chocolate bark/melting chocolate and it works great with the Wilton Melting Pot.
My absolutely favorite cookie (besides the original) are the MINT. They are great for holidays as well because biting into a chocolate dipped mint cookie kinda reminds you of peppermint. Its also green, so very pretty.
I did want to share a few tips on how I found melting the chocolate worked out the best. It can be really tricky going from melting pieces to the perfect consistency that doesn’t make it feel too thick.
After several chocolate dipped recipes, I think I have the secret to the perfect melting chocolate down.
Chocolate Dipped Oreo’s
- Melting Chocolate (at least 1 bag)
- Can of Crisco
- Sleeve of Oreo’s
- Wilton Melting Pot (or you can also melt in microwave, see below)
Oreo’s dipped in chocolate is certainly an easy dessert, but melting that chocolate can drive you to the loony bin.
MICROWAVE MELTING: Melting chocolate should only be heated 30 seconds at a time, stirred, and then reheated until melted. If you over heat your chocolate, there is a point where it begins to re-harden and ruins the chocolate. Typically your chocolate will take 1.5-2 minutes to fully melt.
If your chocolate is too thick, add a bit of shortening to the mixture and stir to thin- your melting chocolate bag should explain how much on the back, but basically do a little at a time until you get a desired consistency.
If you use a full bag of candy melts, you can start with about a spoonful.
MELTING MACHINE : After a bit of annoyance with melting chocolate, I bought a melting machine – Wilton Chocolate candy melting machine. It takes about 10 minutes for the candies to melt (there is a fill line in the pot) and then you turn from melt to warm.
I still had to add shortening to the mixture and ended up with about 1/4th cup of shortening (adding a little at a time) before I found the consistency I wanted for my Oreo’s.
How to Dip Oreo’s into Chocolate
There is no doubt dipping cookies into chocolate can be messy! Once your chocolate is thin enough, you have some good options.
For my own dipped Oreo’s in THIS post, we just did a half an Oreo, so it was fairly easy. If you are dipping a full Oreo, you have a few ways that work well.
- Fingers: You can use your fingers – messy, but effective. Your chocolate wont be overly pretty, but who cares. (also if you are dipping HALF the cookie, fingers work great)
- Forks: Using two forks, you can lower the cookie into the chocolate and flip and pull back up, letting chocolate drip
- Sticks: Using a straight stick or a Popsicle stick, put in the middle frosting of the cookie and dip
- Molds: Probably the easiest way is to use a chocolate mold, load your cookies, pour the chocolate and pop out once set (the smoothest). Here is a deep Oreo mold that you can drop your oreo in and fill up.
How long do Oreo’s Dipped in Chocolate Stay Fresh?
You can store Oreo’s for about 2 weeks, but lets be honest, they wont last long. Like all cookies, you have to keep the air out of them or they dry out and get stale.
I like to buy cookie storage containers from Walmart. They are just a few bucks and are great to gift as well.
Fridge or Room Temp Storage?
I live in the south, so I like to keep my cookies in the fridge. I also like cold chocolate.
But you can leave these on the counter as long as they are sealed tight.
Dessert Recipe Ideas
Try one of these amazing dessert recipes before you go!
- Microwave Peanut Butter Brittle – This microwave peanut brittle recipe is an easy sweet, salty and buttery peanut brittle that takes minutes to make. No- fuss, full proof method that requires no stove top candy thermometer! Vintage Christmas dessert that easily gifts and lasts for weeks!
- Haystack Cookies with Peanut Butter – Haystack Cookies with Peanut Butter and crunchy chow mein noodles are a delicious variation of our normal no bake Haystack cookies with just butterscotch chips.
- Christmas Cream Cheese Mints – Cream cheese mints are a fantastic no bake alternative for a quick and fun appetizer or dessert that everyone loves. And these super festive Christmas Cream cheese mints are so easy to make that they can be whipped up and ready to serve in as little as 30 minutes.
- Chocolate Cocoa Drink Bombs – Chocolate Cocoa Bombs (or chocolate marshmallow bombs, your choice!) is my own copycat recipe after discovering the awesome cocoa bombs were sold out at all the stores!
- Cherry Cheesecake Bars – Slutty Cheesecake bars with cream cheese, cherry filling, and a cookie crumble square really get around. You won’t need to apologize when you ask for seconds (and the recipe) of this perfect cheesecake bar dessert.
- 1 sleeve of Oreo Cookies
- 1 bag of melting chocolate
- Parchment paper
- (optional) Wilton Melting Pot Machine
- Add a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet
- Melt down your chocolate according to package or use Melting Machine. Please see article for tips on how to melt chocolate without burning or ruining it. You need to add Crisco to thin chocolate out to help the Oreo's dip easier. Do not substitute vegetable oil.
- Once dipped, place on parchment paper.
- While still wet, add sprinkles (optional)
- Place baking sheet with Oreo cookies in the freezer to set (takes approximately 10 minutes)
- Store in air tight container for up to 2 weeks
Melting chocolate can be difficult to work with. Please see article to make sure this no bake Oreo recipe is easy for you!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 6Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 3mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.