Easy beef stroganoff is one of the best homemade family meals that tends to be a traditional family favorite. Tender beef and perfect onion and mushroom flavors, make beef stroganoff a time honored family meal passed down from generation to generation.
Typically when 5pm hits the clock, everyone in my family starts with the “Whats for dinner? ” questions and I look around in a daze like…do I have to make dinner for you all AGAIN. Keeping easy dinner recipes in my arsenal that everyone loves is a must and this beef stroganoff with pasta and mushrooms makes cooking a breeze.
Now I like to make my stroganoff with fresh sliced beef chuck roast, but you can easily substitute with 1 pound of ground beef if you prefer. Just precook up the ground beef, make the sauce separate and mix together for the same meal.
In any case, put this easy beef stroganoff recipe in your 30 minutes or less dinners that most kids will eat.
( I say most because some kids are picky even if you feed them pizza and fries, hang in there)
Easy Beef Stroganoff
- 2lbs beef chuck roast, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 package, 8 oz, sliced fresh mushrooms (not pre-cooked)
- 1/2 cup full fat sour cream
- 1 package, 8 oz, noodles, cooked, drained and kept warm
Homemade Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Add oil, beef and onion to a skillet. Heat on medium heat until beef is browned.
Season with salt and pepper.
Add flour and mix well. Add broth and continue to heat on medium, stirring frequently until boiling and bubbly.
Make sure the seasoned sauce is whisked so there are no chunks.
Continue to boil for 10 minutes.
Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or until soft.
Reduce heat to low and add sour cream.
Stir until smooth and heated through.
Serve immediately on top of noodles.
Beef Stroganoff Tips
- I love beef chuck roast as the meat, but any lean (non fatty) meats are perfect. You want to pick meat that gets tender versus toughens.
- You can skip the pasta noodles and serve over other options like green beans, mashed potatoes, or even a baked potato
- Mixing up the kind of pasta you choose to serve, changes the texture.
- Try adding a packet of Ranch Dry Seasoning to the mixture for EXTRA flavor
Side Dishes for Beef Stroganoff
Growing up my mom always had a green as a side. And green beans and peas both make a fantastic simply way to add some veggies to this dish. But here are a few of my favorites as well that are perfect side dish options for beef stroganoff.
- Oven Roasted Broccoli
- Homemade Cream Corn
- Southern Style Green Beans
- (Adults only) serve with Red Sangria
- Broccoli Casserole with Ritz Cracker Topping
Family Friendly Main Dish Recipes
Need a few more family friendly main dish meal choices? Try one of my personal favorites.