Rainbow carrots, also known as Kaleidoscope carrots, are multicolored carrots with purple, orange, white, and yellow carrots that make up a perfect rainbow. These honey Glazed roasted rainbow Carrots are so perfect in an oven, completely roasted to perfection, and ready to make a showcase of epic proportions of color alongside your next dinner recipe.
You won’t get tired of slicing into each roasted bite and savoring the sweet honey and slightly salty baked flavor.
Why you will love Kaleidoscope Carrots
When it comes to healthy carrot side dishes, you have a variety of choices to enjoy these orange sticks of deliciousness. Creamy carrot ginger soup and even tiny baby carrots often take the spotlight, but there is something super special about picking up some rainbow carrots and enjoying all the vegetable perfection right as they are meant to be enjoyed.
Personally, I get a kick out of these carrots, with tiny little stubs on the top and all the pretty colors, even if carrots are not your choice of the day, they look pretty spectacular for a stunning Easter, Thanksgiving, or Christmas simple side dish.
And with all the amazing health benefits of carrots, you really cannot go wrong making them a weekly recipe or a beautiful holiday menu choice.
- rainbow carrots – Rainbow carrots come in a variety of colors. Personally, I love the purple carrots the most but the bunch comes in a unique display of raw carrots. Typically there are tri-colors or 4 colors in a bunch and can vary with orange carrots, purple carrots, white carrots, and yellow carrots.
- seasonings and honey glaze: butter, honey, garlic powder, dried thyme, kosher salt and black pepper
Expert Recipe Tips and Variations
- In some cases, honey on a sheet pan can caramelize, however, we find that the use of the melted butter really keeps that to a minimum.
- Carrots come in a variety of sizes. After all, they are grown and picked right from the ground! Try to find bunches that are close to sizing so some carrots do not finish too far ahead in the cooking process. It is fine to cut carrots down as well.
- This side dish looks pretty fancy but that is due to the multitude of colors of the actual vegetable. Do not let the beauty of the carrots make you think this is only an Easter or Thanksgiving side dish. These carrots can be made year-round and are very tempting for young kids.
- It is fine to add parsnips, that are similar in size, to this dish. Just wash, thinly peel and make sure they are close to sizing in the carrots you are roasting. This can be accomplished by cutting lengthwise through the parsnip. They should finish at the same time as the carrots, around 25 minutes.
- As always, spice flavor possibilities are a personal choice. We love the deeper flavor of garlic and thyme with the honey butter (yum, garlic roasted carrots!) but rosemary roasted carrots work well too with the roasted honey flavors.
- I am often asked if the honey can be substituted for maple syrup. Maple syrup has a richer more earthy flavor and is a thicker substance. There shouldn’t be any issues with exchanging them at a 1:1 ratio. However, it is advised to watch the recipe as maple syrup has a tendency to cook and crystalize faster than honey. Please note that I have not tried this substitution and there could be variables that I am unaware of.
How to Roast Rainbow Carrots
This recipe takes almost zero prep time!
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease a baking pan or rimmed baking sheet and place carrots in a single layer.
- In a small bowl, add melted butter and honey. Mix well.
- Drizzle honey over colorful carrots. Sprinkle with garlic powder, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Cover green tops loosely with foil to prevent them from burning.Bake carrots for a baking time of about 25 minutes, flipping kaleidoscope carrots over (tongs work great) halfway through.
Are carrots healthy?
Yes, they are! Carrot has been shown to help lower cholesterol levels as it contains fiber which helps keep your digestive system running smoothly. It also provides vitamins A, C, K, and B6. The beta carotene found within carrots gives us antioxidants that protect against cancer cells. Specifically, purple carrots are high in those antioxidants.
What other carrots can I honey roast?
There are many types of carrots out there. Any classic carrot would work, however depending on the size of the carrot (small, medium, or larger carrots) the time may need to be adjusted to ensure a fork-tender roasted vegetable. Here is our recipe for 15 minute sautéed carrots, parmesan roasted baby carrots and oven roasted carrot chips.
What are rainbow carrots?
Rainbow carrots come in a kaleidoscope of colors that are traditionally different from other organic carrots or raw carrots. They are sometimes called tri-colored carrots, rainbow carrots, or even heirloom carrots.
Do I have to wash or prep vegetables?
Absolutely. Carrots come right from the ground and are root vegetables and should be well washed. Additionally, pat dry from excess moisture.
Should I peel colored carrots first?
It is fine to roast unpeeled carrots. These raw carrots are typical of the smaller carrot varieties so you do not want to take off too much of the vegetable.
How can I store roasted rainbow carrot leftovers?
Store roasted carrots in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days.
Can you slow cook carrots?
You can definitely slow cook carrots. For all of our full tips on a sweet slow-roasted carrot, check out my very favorite slow cooked brown sugar cinnamon carrots recipe.
Are carrots keto or low carb?
Carrots are higher in carbs than many other vegetable options. While they can (without the honey of course) be eaten in small quantities in a keto or low carb diet, there are better vegetable options.
Is honey bad for me?
No, but if you’re looking for something healthier then consider using agave nectar instead. Honey is made by bees collecting flower pollen into their stomachs where enzymes break down the sugars. This process creates a natural food source rich in vitamins and minerals. Agave nectar does not contain any of those nutrients making it a better option when trying to cut calories.
- Oven Roasted Broccoli
- Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
- Whole Roasted Mini Potatoes
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Oven Roasted Large Baking Potatoes
Connect with Us!
Roasted Rainbow Carrots with Honey Glaze
- 1-2 lbs rainbow carrots - peeled and tops cut to 1″
- 2 tablespoons butter - melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Grease a baking pan and place carrots in a single layer on the baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add melted butter and honey. Mix well. Drizzle honey over carrots. Sprinkle with garlic powder, thyme, salt and pepper. Cover green tops loosely with foil to prevent them from burning.
- Bake for 25 minutes, flipping carrots over halfway through.