These easy oven roasted sweet potatoes with delicious flavorful onions, are a fantastic balance of sweet and savory for your next side dish. Sweet potatoes are oven reserved for holidays in casserole form and smothered in marshmallows, but do not discount eating them year around next to delicious roast, baked chicken, or simple beef recipes.
Sweet Potatoes & Onions Recipe
Before you get started on your sweet potatoes and onions side dish, here are the ingredients you need to gather or confirm you have. Once you have all the listed, head to the bottom to see full measurements and how to make this recipe.
I have also listed below substitutions for the liquor and you if you do not have almonds, you can skip those entirely in a pinch and instead follow the more simple instructions of just sweet potatoes and onions.
- sweet potatoes
- amaretto liqueur*
- slivered almonds
RELATED RECIPES: Crock Pot Sweet Potato Casserole, Pressure Cooker Sweet Potatoes, Hasselback Sweet Potatoes, Married Mashed Potatoes, Candied Sweet Potatoes on Stove Top, Baked Sweet Potato Casserole, Sweet Potato Wedges with Cinnamon
How to make Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Prep the potatoes
This recipe requires prep of the sweet potatoes. You will need to peel and then chunk your potatoes into approximately 1 inch, trying to take care to keep them the same size so some do not over cook while others under cook.
Preheat oven to 350 and grease a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
Or cover with foil and spray foil with cooking spray for easy clean up. Set aside.
Add sweet potatoes, onions, oil, liqueur, thyme, salt and pepper to a mixing bowl and mix well.
Spread sweet potato mixture onto prepared baking sheet.
Cover with foil.
Bake for 30 minutes.
Remove foil and flip potatoes and onions.
Return to oven.
Turn oven to 425 and roast for an additional 20 minutes.
Serve immediately topped with almond slivers (totally optional) for a little crunch.
Substitute for Amaretto Liqueur*
Amaretto liquor is traditionally a liquor that tastes or adds the flavor of almonds. Its not always made from almonds, but mimics the taste. If you do not have any laying around, there are two substitutes below – or you could simply skip this ingredient in the sweet potatoes.
- Almond Extract – Almond Extract is a non-alcoholic flavoring
- Disaronno- Is a form of amaretto liquor, but typically made from Apricots or Peaches
More Easy Sheet Pan Sides
Oven baked recipes are so simple, especially when it comes to vegetables, because they require little care and have so much flavor. If you are looking for additional sheet pan oven roasted recipes, try one of these.
- Easy Roasted Red Potatoes
- Roasted Cauliflower with Parmesan
- 15 Min Roasted Garlic Mushrooms
- Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Easy Oven Roasted Carrots
- Roasted Melting Potatoes
- Garlic Roasted Asparagus
Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Onions
- 3 large sweet potatoes - peeled and cut into 1" chunks
- 2 onions - cut into 1" chunks
- 3 tablespoons oil - vegetable
- 1/4 cup amaretto liqueur*
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Or cover with foil and spray foil with cooking spray for easy clean up. Set aside.
- Prep the sweet potatoes by peeling and then cutting into 1 inch chunks, taking care to keep potatoes even for cooking. If some of the potatoes are too large, they take longer to quick and some are too small, they can burn. Even cutting is a key to sweet potatoes (or any potatoes)
- Cut up onions into 1 inch pieces, similar to your sweet potatoes
- Combine prepped sweet potatoes, onions, cooking oil, amaretto liqueur (see blog post on alternatives for this), thyme, salt and pepper to a mixing bowl and mix well until vegetables are smothered with the herbs and oil.
- Spread sweet potatoes and onions onto prepared baking sheet. Cover top with foil and fold around sheet pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and flip potatoes and onions.
- Return to oven and change your oven to 425 and roast for an additional 20 minutes.
- Serve sweet potatoes immediately topped with almond slivers for a little crunch.