If you have been noticing the new viral trend on TikTok, Pasta Chips, you are not alone. This boiled and then baked or air-fried pasta noodles are taking the world by storm as everyone discovered pasta can be served in a beautiful golden brown crunchy chip-like appetizer.
Truly simple, with pasta and oil making up the bulk of the ingredient list, this recipe elevates everyone’s favorite snacks – pasta and chips – into the ULTIMATE snack. While this recipe got a kick start on social media as far back as YouTube in 2017, it has been around much longer in the Southern States, like Louisiana, as a go-to finger food.
Easily completed with a side of pasta sauce or marinara, here is exactly how to bake or air fry pasta chips.
Why this recipe works
- Simple ingredients, Adjustable Flavors: While the original tiktok videos show common Italian seasonings, garlic salt and grated Parmesan cheese, pasta chips can be made easily with any spices or herbs. Mix them up with ranch and parmesan, red pepper flakes, salt and vinegar or lemon pepper. The end result and taste is totally up to YOUR taste buds.
- Variable ways to cook – I love a recipe that allows me to mix up how I make it and this one does. If you have an Air Fryer, like a Ninja Foodi, the noodles crisp up right in the air crisp basket. An oven, while longer, also gives predictable results and ability to add even more pasta chips to the plate at once.
- Dips – Let’s face it, we all eat chips to enjoy dip and these addicting little crunchy bites go amazing in marinara, homemade pasta sauce, alfredo sauce, ranch, garlic dip or even Greek yogurt or mayo based dips like Cucumber dip.
Farfalle, Rigatoni or Penne?
Farfalle (bowtie) is the best choice when it comes to turning pasta into a crunchy chip.
- Pasta – Any type of pasta noodle can technically be used, although Bowtie (Farfalle) and Rigatoni are the most popular. I have made both and bowties result in a better taste and quick a bit faster. Rigatoni, by the mere fact that they are larger and thicker noodles, are tougher and have more of a “burnt cheese” flavor over a chip once done. I personally recommend Farfalle if you are a first time recipe maker.
- Oil – Olive Oil of course
- Seasonings: We have made and enjoyed them two ways. The first was grated parmesan + Italian Seasoning Blend + Garlic and the second way was Ranch Seasoning + Grated Parmesan. I prefer the Ranch flavoring the best.
- Dipping sauce : Marinara or if you prefer a white sauce, Alfredo. Additionally, you can choose a dip like Layered Greek Dip with Hummus or Whipped Olive Feta Dip.
How to make Pasta Chips (TikTok)
Oven Baked Method
Make sure to check out the printable recipe card for full step by step instructions and ingredients.
- No matter which method you choose, first comes the pasta. Choose Rigatoni (thick), bowtie (cooks easiest) or Penne. Turn oven on 400 degrees to pre-heat.
- Boil pasta al dente according to instructions. Drain well and shake out excess water. Do not let pasta completely dry or it will stick to each other.
- Drizzle with olive oil and stir, covering all noodles. This is usually about a tablespoon to 2 tablespoons oil, depending on how much pasta you are making.
- Smother with GRATED Parmesan cheese. If you use other types of cheeses (like shredded), it can become super messy in oven and bake onto the sheet as it melts.
- Generously season with season of choice. The amounts are not overly sticky and you can put as little or as much as you want.
- Stir well so all noodles are covered.
- Dump pasta onto a sheet pan.
- Place in 400 degree oven for 25-35 minutes. As oven times vary, pull when chips are at desired crunchiness. I have seen this recipe done with as little as 25 but my personal oven (gas) takes a full 35. Using a metal spatula, carefully remove chips.
- Place in serving bowl.
- Serve immediately with pizza dip or sauce of choice.
Air Fryer Method
- As with oven baked method, choose pasta. I recommend bow tie as the rigatoni takes longer, but either will do.
- Boil pasta of choice al dente and drain well from excess water.
- Drizzle 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil onto pasta and stir. Add seasoning of choice and parmesan cheese. In this case, we generously sprinkled on Ranch Seasoning.
- Place in air fryer (like Ninja Foodi) on Temperature 400 for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Stir every few minutes to make sure all pasta pieces get golden brown and crispy. Timing may need to be adjusted based on how crispy you want the chips, up to 20 minutes. If using a deep air fryer, like an 8 Quart, please note that this recipe will be closer to 20 minutes over 10 in the air fryer.
- Remove pasta from air fryer and add to serving bowl.
- Add side dish bowl marinara, pasta sauce or alfredo to dip.
Seasonings that work best for Pasta Chips
Try one of the following (or all of them!)
- Italian Seasoning + Parmesan
- Old Bay
- Taco Seasoning
- Ranch Seasoning + Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Salt + Pepper + Garlic Powder
- Salt + Vinegar
Al dente is pasta that still has a bit of firmness to the noodle when bit into. No one likes overdone pasta and in this case, since there is a second cooking process, it’s better not to overcook.
Most pasta instructions are on the side of the bag or box, but typically its as easy as boiling water with some salt, adding in pasta once it reaches a rolling boil and then draining when pasta is done. Farfalle and rigatoni, as used above, are usually done around 11 minutes.
Absolutely! In fact, pasta chips are a great way to use up any leftover pasta from Italian night in your home. Simply put unused pasta in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil and follow the rest of the instructions to bake or air fry the pasta.
Yes, golden brown crispy pasta chips can be air fried, baked, deep fried or even skillet fried. As long as it heats, it makes. To deep fry, boil and season pasta (minus the olive boil) and then place in piping hot oil until golden and crispy. This process usually takes about 4 minutes. Drain excess oil on a paper towel covered plate.
As with all fried items, we do not recommend saving for later as its best to make day of. I found that they got super crunchy after a day (like to the point of not wanting to eat them).
Do pasta chips taste good?
All food is a matter of opinion and here is ours – we do not love this trend. While the texture of a crunchy piece of pasta is slightly addicting and the seasonings are fine, but in the end it reminds us of when you forgot to pour pasta sauce over all edges in the casserole dish. I personally think the hype is simply due to how its done and not the flavor. I always say give it a try to find out what YOU like!
Related Recipe Trends
If you are someone like we are and LOVE viral recipes, you are in the right place! We love testing out the most popular recipes online and letting you know what we think. Here are our newest recipes that you will just LOVE in your own kitchen:
Connect with Us!