Whipped Feta Dip combines amazing Mediterranean olive with incredibly seasoned and whipped feta cheese into the most indulgent and elevated dip ever. The bold and salty flavors of feta dip are brought to life with tangy roasted olives. This Greek Dip can be served along a trio of other salads like my very favorite Layered Greek Dip Recipe and versatile Tzatziki Sauce.
Nothing says SUMMER than a deliciously creamy and tangy dip, and lucky for us, the internet is abuzz with the latest viral TikTok recipe that couldn’t be tastier: Whipped Olive Feta Dip!
Feta cheese may be my FAVORITE type of cheese. It’s salty, tangy, creamy, and works with so many different dishes! Crumble it onto an otherwise boring salad and feta will transform it into something delicious AND sophisticated. The name is derived from the Greek word for slice, and it’s typically made with sheep milk or a combination of sheep and goat milk. It can be mild, almost like a goat cheese, or sharp.
Recipe Origination and Roots
By law, cheese bearing the name feta can only be sourced from certain regions of Greece and must be produced using traditional methods that have been used for thousands of years, so when you eat feta it tastes like you’ve been transported back in time!
Best of all, feta pairs with all sorts of food, and this Olive Feta Dip will too!
The downside to feta (why is there ALWAYS a downside) is it’s crumbly-ness.
Sometimes, you just want to EAT it without having to chase it around your plate. Enter Whipped Feta Dip. It’s got the sharp, salty flavor but in a totally different format.
You can spread it, dollop it, use it as a dressing, and of course, dip anything and everything in it. Or, you know, just eat it–as is–right out of the bowl with a big spoon and not feel guilty about it at all!
Some people aren’t huge fans of olives, and this recipe doesn’t depend on them. If you love ‘em (like me), have at it! If you are making this for young kids, or husbands with a less-than-evolved palette, simply skip the olives and dress it up a different way. It’s incredibly simple to make and there are a whole lot of variations that you can try!
Why this recipe works
This Whipped Olive Feta Dip has another trick up its sleeve: honey. By using honey as a sweetener, the tanginess and saltiness of the feta and olives is perfectly balanced out.
So… is your mouth watering yet?
Making Whipped Olive Feta Dip is really easy.
Combine your feta cheese with cream cheese (I think whipped cream cheese gives the best consistency). Blend for several minutes in a food processor or blender. Next add the honey and whatever spices you choose, plus a bit of coarse fresh ground pepper.
The original recipe also included roasting garlic and a red onion, but we like to keep our appetizer dips and side dishes super simple around here, so here are the ingredients to the simplified dip recipe:
- black olives
- green olives
- olive oil
- feta cheese
- cream cheese
- salt and pepper
- Crusty bread or crackers for serving
This viral Olive Feta Dip is extremely versatile (one of the reasons I LOVE it!). Change the base, change the herbs, make it your own!
- Use Greek yogurt, sour cream, or a whipped cream cheese as a base with the feta cheese.
- Vary the consistency by adding a bit of olive oil, yogurt, lemon juice, or tahini. If you want your dip to have a smooth texture, run it through a fine mesh strainer to remove the small bits of feta that didn’t blend in all the way.
- Play with your spices! Dill, oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes, rosemary, garlic, and basil will all taste amazing in this! If you use fresh herbs, you will need to add more than if you use dried. Mint would also be great in Feta Dip, but you may want to omit the olives. You can even add in pesto, homemade or store-bought, and call it a day!
- Change up your toppings! Try toasted pistachios, sesame seeds, almonds, pine nuts or diced roasted red pepper as a topping on your Whipped Feta Dip.
Pair with these Dinners
OMG, where to start?! This TikTok Whipped Feta Dip pairs so PERFECTLY with so many, many things! Of course, feta cheese hails from the Mediterranean, so it’s a good idea to start there! Here are some ideas for you to try with Whipped Feta Dip:
- Grilled Chicken– on its own or over a salad, dollop this dip in place of marinade or dressing
- Lamb– chops or a roasted leg with fresh rosemary are a perfect pair with Feta Dip
- Kebabs– use this dip as a topper or in place of Tzatziki Sauce
- Roasted vegetables– you can thin this Olive Feta Dip and use it as a dressing for all sorts of vegetables such as tomatoes, peppers, summer squash, and eggplant
- Roasted potatoes- dip and enjoy!
- Sandwiches– use this dip in place of mayonnaise or mustard for a Greek-inspired lunch.
What is the best dipper to use?
I LOVE this Feta Dip so much, partly because it tastes so good with so many things!
- Some of my favorite veggies to dip include carrots, celery, cauliflower, tomato wedges, and cucumber.
- Try a coarse, thick chip or cracker, or even a coarse bread.
- Pasta Chips
- Of course Air Fryer pita bread is a natural choice.
- Fruit can be so good paired with this Whipped Feta Dip, although you’ll want to leave out the olives! I love apples, watermelon, and strawberries with Feta Dip topped with fresh mint or basil (and maybe an added drizzle of honey).
You can prep this dip ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
The dip will thicken slightly when cooled, so remove it from the fridge an hour before serving to allow it to warm up and thin down.
I’ve also found that by making this early and allowing it to sit, the flavors meld together really nicely.
Whipped Olive Feta Dip (TikTok)
- 1 large can black olives - drained (the can said 6oz)
- 1 jar - 5oz, green olives, drained
- 4 tablespoons olive oil - divided
- 1 block - 8oz, feta cheese
- 4 oz. cream cheese - softened
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
- zest of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- Crusty bread or crackers for serving
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Combine drained black olives and green olives to a large mixing bowl.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil onto olives and mix to evenly coat all sides.
- Season with sat and pepper.
- Add olives to a baking dish and roast for 10 minutes.
- Remove baking dish from oven and set olives aside.
- Add feta cheese, cream cheese, water, honey, lemon zest, thyme and oregano to a food processor. Season with salt and pepper.
- Process feta cheese for 20 seconds until whipped and super creamy.
- Remove seasoned shipped feta cheese from food processor. Mixture of cheese will be thick.
- Spread feta on a 1/2” layer on a serving plate.
- Top with roasted olives and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Season entire platter with salt and pepper.
- Serve whipped feta dip with crackers or crusty bread.