Breakfast Casserole with a full layer of tater tots!
Breakfast pork sausage, eggs, and cheddar cheese will help you get the day started off right! Recipe is perfect for holiday and make head mornings with quick assembly. Just pop into oven and then enjoy!
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole with Sausage & Eggs
There is no doubt that my sausage hash brown breakfast casserole is one of the most adored recipes here on Salty Side Dish. But I also get tons of questions on if the hash browns can be substituted for tater tots, so I decided to give this hack a try!
The great news? Substituting the hash browns for tater tots worked perfectly for a delicious dense potato base in this breakfast casserole. The best part about using tater tots over hash browns is that they already have a layer of fried outsides and brings a bit more crisp to the casserole – no matter whether you choose this recipe or the other one, you will NOT be disappointed in this filling, delicious, and memorable breakfast.
- 8 eggs
- 1 pound pork sausage (jimmy dean)
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk or heavy cream
- 1 package frozen tater tots (approximately 24 oz)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
Why to make Breakfast Casserole…it’s delicious, that’s why!
- Feeds a crowd – This recipe is easy to make even larger with a bigger dish and a few changes!
- Variations – You can truly make this one your own! Substitute with other cooked meats, add veggies like fresh red and green peppers or top with bacon with a crunch.
- Make Ahead – You can pre-assemble this tater tot casserole by making, adding foil on top, and pulling out next morning for cooking.
Breakfast Casserole with Tater Tots and Sausage
Recipe Instructions – full printable version at the bottom of the post without images
Preheat oven to 375 and spray 9 x 13 pan with non stick cooking spray.
Brown the meat – I like breakfast sausage, but you can use any beef you like, over medium heat in a skillet, breaking meat into small pieces. Drain any excess grease and set cooked meat aside.
Whisk together 8 eggs, 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream and all spices together.
Now its time to assemble the tater tot casserole.
Start with adding your frozen tater tots in the bottom of the dish. Its fine if some overlap!
Now add cooked sausage, two cups of cheese and finally pour egg mixture on top.
Cover casserole dish with foil. This helps the edges not cook too quickly and burn.
Bake for approximately 40 minutes to start, remove foil from dish, and then bake for another 15-20 until center egg is fully cooked.
Please note that all oven times can vary and gas stoves often cooker quicker so check at the 40 minute mark. Your eggs may be cooked.
More Delicious and Easy Breakfast Side Dish Recipes
Serve along side one of the following breakfast recipes
- Diced Skillet Breakfast Potatoes – Easy Skillet Breakfast Potatoes fried up in a cast iron pan are such a simple side dish to make. Often referred to as â€œhome friesâ€ you can skillet fry up your potatoes and enjoy super tender centers and crispy skins.
- Blueberry Breakfast Cake – Blueberry Breakfast Cake is a delicious way to bring in the blueberry picking season! Packed with fresh blueberries and perfect as a pairing with your morning coffee.
- Slow Cooker Grits – Grits have never been easier! Slow cook your grits (on high, low or overnight!) for a classic bowl of savory grits just begging for cheese, butter and bacon. Even if you have never made grits before, this one is for you!
- Cast Iron Blueberry Cake – Grab your cast iron pan and whip up this blueberry cornmeal cake in just under an hour. A seriously southern, homemade cake that is perfection in every tasty bite.