This simple homemade dog treat recipe with banana and blueberries not only provides a great source of valuable nutrients but gets your dog excited for a treat they will love.
Whether you are making for your dog’s birthday or just providing them with some superfood dog-friendly treats during the week, these quick, easy, and fresh ingredient muffins are a perfect way to get creative in the kitchen for man’s best friend.
Why you should make Homemade Dog Treats
Dogs love them, and you love your dog: In our house, Billy loved these! They are obviously bland (yes, I took a bite), and the whipped topping on top is homemade. It is just heavy whipping cream, whipped until stiff (no granulated sugar), so it’s even more blah. But that is just a human perspective. From the dogs? LOVE LOVE LOVE!
TikTok Banana Dog Treats Origin
This awesome idea and recipe came up from TikTok User @ThreePupperteers . We were pretty excited to try this one as our dog is SO motivated by people food (or any food). You can see her entire video that we tested this recipe below:
- bananas – Mash down bananas for the treats. Bananas are helpful for a dog’s immune system and a shiny coat.
- baking powder – There is a lot of information online regarding the safety of leaveners like baking powder and baking soda and animals. According to PetMD, baking soda and baking powder in small amounts is perfectly harmless to pets.
- blueberries – Fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries are fine to use.
- heavy whipping cream – This is optional if you would like to make some homemade whipped topping but dogs also love a smattering of all-natural peanut butter as a “frosting” topper.
- Other Ingredients: coconut oil, egg, and all-purpose flour.
How to make Blueberry and Banana Muffins (for dog treats)
Note: These don’t rise much, but they bake fine.
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Wet Ingredients: Add ripe bananas, coconut oil, egg, and water, and mix well in a mixing bowl. Dry Ingredients: Add flour and baking powder and mix until just combined.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Use a three tablespoon portion scoop to add batter to the prepared muffin cup tin.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before topping with whipped cream.
- Beat whipping cream with a mixer until stiff.
- Add a dollop on top of the muffin and a few extra blueberries before serving.
Blueberry Banana Muffins Tips
- Muffins for humans usually rise but homemade dog treats contain a small amount of rising agents and oils that keep it safe for the dog and typically affect how a muffin rises. These biscuits will not be the same as a human muffin.
- Store any leftover dog greats in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
How to melt Coconut Oil
I measured 1/3 cup for the coconut oil and then melted it in the microwave, stirring it until it was all melted. It was not hot or even warm. It was more like room temp.
Are blueberries safe for dogs?
Blueberries are a great source of vitamins and antioxidants for dogs (source the AKC) and are great in a recipe like these healthy banana blueberry muffins. However, if your dog isn’t used to certain foods, they may be subject to an upset stomach. Always consider your dog’s personal needs and consult a vet before trying foods you may feel are not right for your pet.
Is coconut oil safe for dogs?
As with most ingredients, coconut oil can cause gastrointestinal issues in large quantities but is generally safe in limited quantities that you find in baked goods.
Related TikTok Recipes
- Definitely not for dogs, but this Air Fryer Cookie Recipe will make YOUR tummy happy!
- Ketchup in a cake actually tastes good!
- If you love a Biscoff Cookie, you won’t believe what it tastes like as a Biscoff Cake.
- Sopapillas are one of the worlds best viral desserts so wait until you try it this sopapilla cheesecake bar recipe!
Leave A Reply!