This easy and delicious roasted sweet potato salad recipe is a little bit sweet and a little bit savory.
Perfect for the fall months where sweet potato recipes shine, prep potatoes ahead of time to make this one in mere minutes.
No mayo needed; the oil-based homemade dressing is light and sweet and a great complement to each savory and rich bite.
Why you will love making Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
Dish for potlucks – While I love this dish as a dinner (with chicken), this roasted sweet potato salad recipe is also fantastic for potlucks and parties as a unique side dish.
Summer or Fall – Sweet potatoes are a year-round vegetable, and while they are synonymous with fall, they also produce fantastic flavor for summer BBQs.
- Roasted Potatoes – Sweet potato, cut into 1/2″ cubes and olive oil.
- Salad – romaine heart, cucumber sliced and quartered, and cooked chicken breast.
- Dressing – olive oil, juice of half a lemon, honey, minced garlic, oregano, dry mustard, salt, and ground black pepper.
- Optional – Freshly shredded parmesan cheese.
How to make Sweet Potato Salad
- Preheat the oven to 400 and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Place cubed sweet potato chunks on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Mix to coat. Season with kosher salt and pepper.
- Roast sweet potatoes on a prepared baking sheet for 25 minutes. Cool completely before moving on to salad instructions.
- Once potatoes are cool, add romaine, quartered cucumber, sweet potato chunks, and cooked chicken to a mixing bowl and combine well. Set aside.
- In a separate salad bowl, combine two tablespoons of olive oil, lemon juice, honey, garlic, oregano, mustard, salt, and pepper, and mix well.
- Drizzle dressing over the cold salad mixture and mix well to coat evenly. Serve immediately as a main dish (should serve 2) or a perfect side dish (should serve 4).
The great thing about salads is their ability to be altered so easily. This recipe goes great with dried cranberries, crunchy pecans, and even a bit of crumbled cheese like feta cheese or goat cheese.
There are tons of delicious flavor options that go well with this type of salad. From fresh sweet corn kernels, crispy twisted bacon pieces, green onions, or even pieces of cold crisp apples, it’s OK to get creative with the mixed greens and bite-sized potatoes.
Also, try small bits of creamy ripe avocado and slices of mandarin oranges.
What kind of chicken to add?
Any cooked chicken is fine to add, including pre-made rotisserie chicken.
If you need a recipe, we suggest one of the following – honey butter fried chicken, Italian Chicken cutlets, air fryer chicken thighs, air fryer chicken tenders, or our very favorite recipe for chicken, Juicy Chicken 101.
Related Sweet Potato Recipes
- Soft tender sweet potatoes, this maple bacon sweet potato recipe is excellent year-round.
- Move over traditional mashed potatoes, and a savory mashed sweet potato recipe makes an impression on the plate!
- In just 40 minutes, these full of flavored diced sweet potatoes will be coming out of the oven.
- No marshmallows are needed; it’s easy to enjoy this stovetop sweet potatoes recipe full of brown sugar!
- The Ninja Foodi makes pressure cooking sweet potatoes a snap!
- Throwback to the younger days, grandmas sweet potato pie recipe is just what you need this holiday.
- Lastly, sweet potatoes are mostly well known in casserole form. Try crockpot sweet potato casserole or a well-known oven-baked sweet potato casserole recipe with marshmallows.
Connect with Us!