There is no shortage of macaroni and cheese side dish recipes on TikTok.
From the original and incredible TikTok mac and cheese to this smothered-in-cheese super creamy version, there is always more than one way to indulge in this favorite viral recipe.
Starting with simple noodles, this recipe turns sour cream, seasonings, and tons of cheese to bake into simply incredible perfection.
TikTok claims this is a top-winning southern baked macaroni and cheese, and we agree.
Why you will love TikTok’s Creamy Baked Mac N’ Cheese
Cheese, cheese, and more cheese! The triple blast of cheddar, Colby, and Monterey jack cheese combines into an ultra-cheesy noodle.
And while we love the way these three taste together, don’t be afraid to try other cheese variations to switch it up.
For example, Pepperjack provides just the right amount of kick when wanted.
Homemade and Baked – There is nothing wrong with good boxed Annies or Kraft Mac and Cheese on a school night. But with just a tiny bit of effort, quality and deliciousness are at your fingertips.
Baked macaroni and cheese are hands down a favorite family dinner (not just side) that leaves little room for error when it comes to a filling meal and perfect comfort food.
- Elbow macaroni: This dish starts with cooked pasta. Follow the instructions on the box, and once cooked, move on to the next portion of the recipe.
- Butter: To prep butter, cube it.
- Sour cream: I am not a fan of using anything less than full-fat sour cream for flavor.
- Seasonings: Season with salt, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and optional black pepper.
- Cheese: The best cheeses in this TikTok video include mild cheddar, Colby jack, and Monterey jack cheese.
- Misc: You will also need full-fat milk, heavy whipping cream, and two eggs.
Tip: Instead of boiling dry noodles in water, try chicken broth!
How to Make Macaroni Cheese
- Mix macaroni and butter until butter is melted. Stir sour cream into the macaroni mixture. Add kosher salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika, and mix the pasta mixture one more time super well.
- Shred cheese and mix. Set aside.
- Whisk together milk, heavy cream, and egg. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 and grease a 9×13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Layer half of the macaroni onto the bottom of the baking dish.
- Top with half of the cheese and pour half of the liquid on top. Repeat layers, ending with cheese and sprinkling the top with additional paprika.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Remove from oven, let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
What are common variations of baked mac and cheese?
Most variations have to do with noodle shape (the elbow reigns supreme, though), changing up the cheese, and toppings.
Seasonings: Other than a dash extra of paprika, a packet of ranch seasoning can provide a familiar flavor and is a personal favorite.
The creamy texture of macaroni combined with ranch is about the most incredible homemade cheese sauce ever. Another great way to flavor southern macaroni is roasted garlic.
Toppings: It’s common for a baked mac and cheese recipe to include bread crumbs (sometimes with Grated Cheese like Parmesan) or pieces of crunchy bacon.
Additionally, broiling can provide an incredible golden brown top to this favorite dish.
What cheese is best for Mac & Cheese
The creamy sauce in baked macaroni comes from a variety of cheese and a combination of sour cream and butter.
Try one of these pre-shredded cheese options to mix the cooked macaroni taste.
- Colby Jack
- Cheddar Cheese
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Monterey Jack
Related TikTok Viral Recipes
- If you have never tried a TikTok Air Fried Green Bean recipe, this is one side dish and snack with no breading but a great flavorful crunch.
- Make sure you try this ramen noodle hack.
- Do you know what TikTok’s favorite salad recipe is?
- The crunchiest golden brown potato recipe you will EVER eat.
- This addictive crack chicken recipe is so good that they call it crack.
- Serve honey buttered chicken alongside this mac recipe.
Leave A Reply!