Ambrosia salad recipe with with cool whip, fruit and marshmallows is the perfect for your upcoming picnic. Kid friendly with just the right amount of sweet, this is a classic recipe that will remind you of what grandma used to make!
But if you can pry yourself away from the pretty savory side dish veggies, you can open up a whole world of fruits! This ambrosia salad with cool whip is just the tip of the iceberg with our upcoming fruit salad features. (update: Watergate salad is now live, do not miss this retro dessert!)
The cherries, oranges and pineapples allow the citrus of the fruits to mix in gently with the cool whip and yogurt. While I wouldn’t call this summer salad healthy, it is a perfect mixture of all things spring and summer and will probably remind you of your childhood.
Ambrosia Salad Recipe
Classic ambrosia is often up to the maker, from jello and sour cream additives to the original pistachio and watergate salad feel, its an old fashioned salad rooted in huge pot lucks that you would find at your church. I love ambrosia because the truth is I could eat anything wrapped up in cool whip. Its more of a dessert salad but I try to convince myself the fruits make it “healthy.”
- 1 can, 15 oz, Mandarin Oranges, drained
- 1 can, 20 oz, pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 jar, 12 oz, maraschino cherries, drained
- 3/4 cup, 6 oz container, vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 tub, 8 oz, whipped topping, thawed
Ambrosia Fruit Salad with Cool Whip
What I love about this recipe is that its minutes, I mean minutes, until its done! I think it can be so stressful to have to prep meals and this ambrosia salad is basically a dump and mix scenario. You just want to make sure you have enough time to let it sit in the fridge and get cold.
To get started on your Ambrosia Salad recipe, make sure your fruit is all drained and prepped.
Then mix your oranges, pineapple and cherries together in a mixing bowl.
Add greek yogurt, shredded coconut and marshmallows and mix well.
In this ambrosia salad recipe we used a vanilla Greek yogurt.
I like the consistency and flavor, but its OK to experiment and try flavors like strawberry and cherry yogurts as well!
Do not feel married to this recipe if you know that you love a flavor of something else. Half the fun in the kitchen is making it your own.
Fold in whipped topping slowly, making sure you cover all your fruit and marshmallows.
Refrigerate your salad with the bowl covered for atleast 4 hours or overnight if you can to really solidify the flavors.
Because this salad has diary in it, putting it in the heat outside for long periods of time is not recommended.
Stir before serving to ensure equal flavoring.
Ambrosia Salad Recipe with Cool Whip
- 1 can 15 oz, Mandarin Oranges, drained
- 1 can 20 oz, pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 jar 12 oz, maraschino cherries, drained
- 3/4 cup 6 oz container, vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 tub 8 oz, whipped topping, thawed
- Mix oranges, pineapple and cherries together in a mixing bowl.
- Add yogurt, coconut and marshmallows and mix well. Fold in whipped topping.
- Refrigerate, covered, for 4 hours or overnight. Stir before serving.
- Add chopped pecans for a crunch
Do not forget to pin me!