This easy chicken and rice bake, made from ingredients you likely have in your pantry, is a simple oven-baked casserole dish that is super filling and the ultimate comfort food.
Dishes like these do not need to be complicated to be delicious, and the combination of the creamy soups, fresh-baked chicken, and cooked rice make this a traditional and classic dinner that everyone will love.
Why you will love Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole
Best Family-Friendly Dinner: Chicken and Rice Bake is one of the most requested family-friendly meals in our home. Although this casserole dish is a bit old-fashioned, it brings the flavor and is a perfect main dish to nearly all the side dish recipes here.
One Dish Meal: A yummy one-pan dish, you cannot go wrong pleasing the whole crowd, all the kids, and at any potluck party you may have with chicken and rice bake! This dish is also perfect for leftover rice recipes and has a relatively simple prep.
Some of the best recipes come in a creamy casserole dish. I know because I cook them quite a bit in our house. A few very well-loved dishes here that you should also test out are this holiday-friendly corn casserole recipe, the most ultimate loaded cauliflower side. You cannot go wrong with tomato-bursting TikTok baked feta pasta for dinner.
Tested and True: Judging by all the fantastic feedback that I have gotten on Pinterest, this recipe is a keeper!
Dump-and-Bake Chicken and Rice Bake
This chicken and rice bake right in the oven is one I ate a ton of growing up. My mom cooked mostly right out of the pantry, and things were simple – but filling. While devoid of any mixed vegetables or frozen vegetables, this baked dish is full of old-fashioned yet straightforward and filling flavors.
I wanted to share this easy recipe if you are looking for a straight-up dish with ingredients you probably already have that kids will enjoy. Plus, anytime you combine chicken and rice, it’s super filling, satisfying, and has maximum flavor.
- boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1″ cubes (uncooked)
- cream of mushroom soup
- cream of chicken soup
- cream of celery soup
- Seasonings: salt, garlic powder, black pepper
- white rice
- chicken broth
What is the best rice to use?
Long grain rice is one of the best and most common rice, but I also love using Jasmine rice as it’s my personal favorite.
How to make Comfort Chicken and Rice Casserole
Make sure to cook the rice first – you need 2 cups. Rice can be made a day ahead if you want, and this recipe is perfect for leftover rice dishes.
- Preheat oven to 400 and grease a 9×13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Add uncooked cut up chicken, condensed cream soups, spices, COOKED rice and chicken broth in a mixing bowl and combine the chicken mixture well.
- Pour chicken bake mixture into prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Dot with pats of butter all over on top of casserole.
- Bake chicken and rice casserole for 60 minutes or until bubbly around the edges, heated, and cooked through.
Now I know the final image doesn’t” look” appetizing- after all, chicken, rice, and soup are kinda brown – but it TASTES terrific.
Creamy Soups for Chicken Casseroles
When looking for recipes based on cans you already have in your pantry, not everyone keeps cream of celery stocked up. You can easily alter your cream of celery for a varying creamy sauce flavor.
Condensed soups make recipes so easy! There are choices for soup, and because of the vast selections (Campbells has a ton), you can get low sodium, nutritional friendly, and full-fat item soups to fit your needs. There are other routes like making your stock and paste but WHY.
The following condensed creamy soups can give chicken and rice bake and the rice mixture tons of mouthwatering flavors and tons of variety in what works for your family’s dinner needs and menu changes.
- Cream of Asparagus
- Cream of Broccoli
- Cream of Roasted Mushroom Garlic
- Cream of Potato
- Cream of Bacon
Variations & Tips
- Although unnecessary, chicken and rice can have extra cheese added near the end with a 2-3 minute broil (watch it, broiling moves quickly!) for a layer of browned cheese on top.
- Always cut the chicken into even pieces to make sure they cook at the same rate and evenly. If some pieces are too large and some too small, you will have undercooked and overcooked chicken.
- I highly suggest using only white rice for this dish versus minute rice, wild rice, or brown rice.
- In the last 5 minutes, add some cheddar cheese on the top and broil till melty and golden brown. Cheese tends to be the perfect comfort food, so that any other cheese flavors would do fine as well. It’s also delicious to make some cheese sauce and drizzle on top.
- For additional flavor, other ingredients that go well with this recipe are bits of yellow onion (or onion powder), Italian Seasoning, or whole cloves of garlic.
Chicken and rice is a dump casserole, but please note that we COOK THE RICE first in this dish.
This makes sure the rice is complete while the chicken is done baking. While there are other recipes with uncooked rice, I am particular about tender, soft, and not over-baked chicken.
Before getting started on the recipe, throw the rice in a rice cooker, so it’s ready for you when you assemble and begin cooking dinner.
What side dish to serve with a Casserole Dish.
Serve this recipe alongside something colorful like cucumber salad, marinated tomato salad, or even a strawberry spinach salad – which will lighten up the plate and complement this savory and heavy meal with a light side dish.
- Saute Sugar Snap Peas Recipe
- Roasted Cauliflower Recipe
- Cheesy Asparagus Recipe
- Creamed Peas Recipe
- Homemade Creamed Corn Recipe
- Southern Style Green Beans Recipe
- Parmesan Roasted Carrots Recipe
Related Casserole Recipes
- Another recipe if you love chicken and rice casseroles are this Ritz Cracker Chicken Casserole recipe too!
- Mushroom casserole with white button mushrooms, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, and panko bread topping is like a Stuffed Mushroom Appetizer but in an UNSTUFFED Casserole!
- Cowboy Breakfast Casserole with bacon, bits of vegetables, black beans, and tons of shredded cheese is the most loaded breakfast casserole you will ever eat. Savory and unforgettable, this may be the last breakfast casserole recipe you will EVER need.
- Spinach Mushroom Breakfast casserole with spinach, mushrooms, and eggs – a hearty, savory, and delicious breakfast egg bake that is lick your lips good!
- If you are looking for the BEST tater tot casserole, the tater tot casserole of your youth that grandma used to spoil you with, this is it!
- This Chicken and Potato Casserole is hearty, filling, and easy homemade casserole dinner dish.
Connect with Us!