Whether you need a meatless Monday full-on Eggplant Parmesan casserole or a cheesy, melty marinara-covered side dish to compliment Italian chicken, this Eggplant Parmesan is a filling, flavorful and delightful (sometimes side dish) recipe that will Triumph in the kitchen!
Easy Eggplant Parmigiana Recipe
ingredients to gather and prep for the recipe
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/4″ eggplant slices (you will need 12 slices for this recipe)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- vegetable oil
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 package, 8 oz, shredded fresh mozzarella cheese
If you love this recipe, you will love these below too!
Eggplant Parmesan with Marinara Sauce
These eggplant slices are amazing – truly one of the best and most delicious ways to enjoy eggplant parm.
Place eggplant slices in a single layer between paper towels. Sprinkle kosher salt on each layer.
Place between 2 plates and let sit for at least 20 minutes, up to an hour, letting towels absorb moisture. Pat dry and discard used towels.
Add eggs and 1 tablespoon milk together in a bowl and beat well.
In a separate, shallow bowl, add 1 cup bread crumbs and grated Parmesan cheese (no flour needed for this recipe). Mix well.
Dredge eggplant in egg mixture and then bread crumbs and Parmesan mixture, coating both sides of the slices.
Using a cast iron pan, cook eggplant in hot oil until golden brown and fried on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
How to Bake Eggplant (after Frying)
Preheat oven to 350 and place a 1/4 cup of sauce into the bottom of an 8 x 8 baking dish.
Layer 4 sliced eggplant in a single layer and top with mozzarella cheese and basil.
Repeat, adding marinara sauce, a layer of eggplant, cheese, and basil.
Repeat layers in the dish one more time ending with cheese.
Bake dish for 12-15 minutes or until hot.
Broil top cheese layer for 1-2 minutes (always watch when you broil to avoid burning, your oven may need less time).
Sprinkle with basil and a little cracked black pepper before serving the best Parmesan Eggplant recipe ever!
Common Eggplant Parm Questions
- Can you use olive oil instead of vegetable oil? You can honestly use any type of frying oil. I personally believe olive oil has a pretty strong flavor, so I defer to vegetable oil to keep the robust of olive oil down.
- What type of marinara sauce tastes the best? Matter of perspective, but I love making homemade, or if you want quick jarred, Fresh Market usually has some boutique brands that are fun to try.