Homemade Cosmic Brownies, the trendy dessert of your childhood, are easier than you think at home. With a thick chocolate frosting and candy-coated chips topping, this dense, rich, and perfect copycat brownie can be duplicated with little effort and fun.
Coming in a close second to the original recipe, this ultra fudgy treat is irresistibly out of this world!
Why you will love making TikToks Cosmic Brownies
Nostalgia Childhood Lunchbox Throwback – These delicious fudgy and dense brownies were the lunchbox dessert of the 90s. Ripping open a package of the little brownie and enjoying that burst of chocolate flavor was one of the best parts of grade school.
Making them at home may not be as easy as grabbing a storebought box (nothing is), but this copycat recipe is worth the effort for one of your homemade childhood favorites.
Where did this Fudgy Brownie recipe come from?
You can his video of this classic chocolate treat that popped up on our FYP below:
Did we enjoy TikToks Cosmic Brownie recipe?
I think it’s pretty hard not to enjoy fudgy brownies.
These were fun to make and super delicious, but I’m a little bummed the chocolate ganache didn’t a little harden more like the real cosmic brownies. The frosted brownies of my youth have more of a creamy ganache that sets a little bit – but it could likely be the preservatives in the ingredients change.
Still, these copycat cosmic brownies are a close second, extremely rich, and have a fantastic taste.
- unsalted butter
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- vegetable oil
- all-purpose flour
- unsweetened natural cocoa powder – It is essential to use high-quality cocoa powder for the best flavor.
- baking soda
Chocolate Fudge Topping
- Delicious Fudge Icing needs semi-sweet chocolate chips, milk, and butter.
- Rainbow chips – we used Betty Crocker Candy Shop Rainbow Chips. To get close to the original Little Debbie cosmic sprinkles brownie look, these work great. That being said, there are a great deal many rainbow sprinkles or colorful candy that would work to customize these brownies, so pick what you love! Amazon has Rainbow-coated candy chips here.
Purchase Rainbow Candy perfect to complete Copycat Cosmic Brownies here on Amazon!
How to make Homemade Cosmic Brownies
- Preheat the oven to 350, line a 9×13 baking pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add melted butter, sugars, eggs, vanilla, and vegetable oil to a mixing bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder, a pinch of salt, and baking soda and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until combined. It is not necessary to overmix.
- Pour into prepared pan. A rubber spatula can assist in getting all batter off the sides of the bowl.
- Bake for 24-26 minutes or until the edges begin to brown. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Add chocolate chips, milk, and butter to a saucepan and heat over low heat, constantly stirring until smooth and shiny.
- Cool slightly before pouring chocolate brownie frosting on top of the brownies.
- Top with rainbow chips. Cool and refrigerate for an hour.
- Remove parchment paper and brownies from the pan and cut them into 24 bars.
- Store leftover brownies covered in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
How to avoid crumbly brownies
While this homemade version of a childhood favorite recipe is very specific, baking can be challenging for some.
To ensure no surprises with the result of a recipe, be sure to measure precisely and adjust baking times as necessary for your oven.
Related Viral Dessert Recipes
- There are a great many viral dessert recipes that you can look through.
- 36 Oreos make up this Oreo Bundt Cake.
- Easy to make mini easter cakes with homemade dessert shells – no cooking necessary!
- TikTok Grape Tanghulu is a fun at-home Chinese street food.
- Did you know that Ice cream can be made into Creme Brulee?
- Do 2 ingredient Nutella cookies work?
- This Ketchup cake recipe is surprisingly delicious. Your guests will be shocked to hear there is a condiment in the cake!
- A chocolate smash heart is SO satisfying.
- A mug cake in 3,2,1….beeeeeeeeeeeeeep!