Family favorite chili has never tasted better than when served in a cornbread chili bowl. This cast-iron skillet cornbread with golden brown edges is the best way to enjoy an all-in-one dish.
With its buttery crust complementing the rich flavors of your favorite chili, making a trendy TikTok inspired cornbread bowl will become your all-time favorite way to whip up this satisfying dish.
Why you will love making Cornbread in a Cast Iron Pan
Nostalgia– Cornbread and chili are such a right of passage for old-fashioned dinner recipes. Growing up, I was always served a square of cornbread with chili scooped on top. While I loved it and still do, I am not a massive fan of soggy cornbread. This excellent idea that leaves the cornbread in a bowl around a cast iron pan makes sure you get fresh, delicious cornbread with every bite.
Presentation: Feeding a crowd or sitting down for a comfort meal, the beautiful bowl of chili surrounded by cornbread is incredibly delicious and looks restaurant quality.
Where did this Cornbread Bowl Recipe come from?
We adored this hearty winter weather recipe idea from tiktok creator @mariandcandicee. She has a cool series on her sister cooking for her, and the cornbread chili bowl recipe was in part 45. See the entire video recipe below:
- Jiffy corn muffin mix – Use this boxed cornbread mix (which is also America’s favorite, according to Jiffy) over just regular yellow cornmeal.
- Chili of any kind – Any favorite chili recipe works well! Canned chili (we used two 15.25 oz cans to fill up our pan) or homemade chili is acceptable depending on recipe needs.
How to make a TikTok Cornbread Chili Bowl
- Place one box of Jiffy corn muffin mix (8.5 oz) in a mixing bowl.
- Add one egg and 1/3 cup milk. Mix until just combined.
- Spoon cornbread batter into a greased skillet and bake at 400 for 15-17 minutes or until the center is set and edges begin to a golden brown. The timing could change depending on the size of the cast iron pan.
- Remove cast iron pan from oven. Be careful as it will be a hot skillet, and cast iron gets particularly hot.
- Cool skillet cornbread slightly before cutting a 5″ center round out and spooning the center with hot chili.
Homemade or Canned Chili?
Homemade Chili – Every household has its favorite chili recipe, and there are millions of combinations. Chili can be made with lean ground beef, ground turkey, or left vegetarian. Most chilis are commonly made with black pepper, kosher salt, tomato paste, yellow onion, and beans.
This Wendys Copycat Chili recipe is one of our favorites for the perfect pot of chili.
Canned Chili – Again, a variety of great canned chilis are usually available at your local grocery store. We recommend Wolf Brand Chili if choosing a canned version or Cincinnati Skyline Chili if choosing frozen.
What size cast iron pan works best?
This is a 10″ cast iron skillet, and I think a smaller one would make thicker bread, but it worked out fine.
What toppings go well with Chili?
Top sweet cornbread and hot chili with shredded cheese (we like shredded cheddar cheese), sour cream, sliced red onions, jalapenos, chopped fresh cilantro, and sliced green onion.
What Cast Iron Pans are the best?
We love this set of cast iron pans that include three different sizes.
Related Viral Recipes
- You absolutely need to try out this tiktok broccoli cheese soup recipe.
- More than addictive, tiktok crack chicken in a crockpot is a meal that makes great leftovers.
- TikTok’s most famous recipe.
- Have you ever tried ramen grilled cheese?
- Looking for dinner without the work? Tortizza for the best pizza.