Light and fluffy Japanese Milk Bread (also known as Hokkaido or Shokupan) is a perfect viral side dish recipe that puts regular dinner rolls to shame. Slightly sweet and ooh, so squishable, milk buns have ultra-soft centers with golden-brown tops.
This milk bread recipe has been seen over 17 million times and is one of the top recipes. We knew we had to test out this method!
Why you will love making Shokupan.
Bread is Life – If I had to pick any food to eat for the rest of my life, it would be bread. Bread not only completes a meal but can be enjoyed on its own as an appetizer, snack, or side dish.
No Bread Maker Needed – You need to let the bread rise (all good bread takes some time), but there are very few special machines or products you need to make this bread work. Just patience and time!
Make sure if planning on making milk bread, you work in the extra 2 1/2 hours it needs to rise.
Where did this Hokkaido Milk Bread Recipe come from?
We love testing out not only fabulous popular trending recipes but foods of all cultures! This Japanese milk bread was certainly a treat, and like everyone else, we were stunned to see the soft squishy recipe video from TikTok Creator @kwokspots.
He has deliciously incredible food, and you should watch the video here to see exactly what we tested and follow him for more awesome recipe ideas.
Do we recommend making golden Japanese Milk Bread?
Yes! This bread recipe is worth the time!
We know that we all live in a culture that wants things instantly, and sometimes it’s hard to plan. But if you want to add these buns to a dinner recipe, just get started a little earlier.
- One package, 0.25 oz, active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup hot water
- Two tablespoons all purpose flour
- Two tablespoons water
- 4-1/2 tablespoons milk
- 2-1/3 cup all-purpose flour (not self-rising bread flour)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- One teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- One egg
- Three tablespoons of unsalted butter – softened
- One egg
- One tablespoon water
Garlic Butter (optional for top, after baking)
- Two tablespoons of butter softened
- Two teaspoons of dried parsley
- One teaspoon garlic powder (or use minced garlic)
How to make TikTok Japanese Milk Bread
- In a small bowl, mix yeast and water and set aside.
- Mix flour, water, and milk in a small saucepan, and whisk until smooth.
- Heat over low heat, frequently stirring until paste forms. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine flour, sugar, salt, milk, egg, yeast mixture bowl, and tangzhong paste.
- Beat flour mixture on low for five minutes until dough forms. (At this point, my dough was a little sticky).
- Add butter to the dough, one tablespoon at a time, and beat on medium until mixed well and the dough is smooth.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let stand for 1.5 hours or until double in size. Remove plastic wrap and divide the dough into 8-9 pieces, using a floured surface if the dough is extra sticky.
- Shape dough into balls and place it into a greased 10″ springform cake pan. Cover and let the dough balls rest for 45 minutes or until they double in size.
- Remove plastic wrap and discard. Beat together egg and water and use a pastry brush to top the dough with egg wash.
- Bake milk bread for 20 minutes at 350.
- Remove from oven and top hot bread with garlic butter.
What is Milk Bread?
Japanese milk bread is a soft, delicious bread whose baking method creates perfect buns, rolls, and loaves. Once you understand how to make it, there is no turning back.
This bread goes by many names, including Hokkaido milk bread, Shokupan, or Milk Bread. The distinct texture of milk bread can be eaten alone or with a burnt butter recipe or jelly.
What is Tangzhong?
This method creates a paste (closely resembling a roux) with a few simple ingredients. This is done separately and then added to the dough. The paste helps create a starter that preserves the bread and gives its soft texture.
Why was this recipe so viral on TikTok?
As seen in the video, this recipe, viewed over 17 million times with 2 million hearts, attracted tons of attention. Not only are bread recipes delicious and well-loved by all cultures, but the squishy texture spoke to the heart of why we ate food.
See the original recipe and creator here on TikTok.
How to store Hokkaido Milk Buns?
Store in a ziplock container on the counter.
Related Viral Recipes
Fried on all sides, this TikTok Cheesy Garlic Bread is the Garlic Bread of the Future!
Nothing is more comforting than a chili bowl made of cornbread.
This Soft Cheesy TikTok pizza bite recipe is a dippable weeknight meal the whole family will love.
No need to bake to enjoy an Oreo Mug Cake Recipe.
Leave A Reply!