This trending Chinese potato recipe that culminates with fried blossoming potatoes is a beautiful, interesting, and delicious way to try a stunning side dish this week.
Super trending in China, this recipe initially started with a viral trending tiktok, and now it’s your turn to make it in your own home!
While the potato dish tastes as you would imagine, with fried outsides and soft pillow centers, the show’s real star is the shape.
Why you will love making this Trending Potato Recipe.
American ingredients with Cultural flair – This recipe has easy-to-find and inexpensive ingredients with a cultural flair.
This trending video from TikTok showcases a beautiful potato smothered in a simple sauce that brings this potato recipe to life. The great news is that you likely have all these essential ingredients in your home, making it simple to start.
See the full video from creator @foodiechina888
Super filling – Potatoes are hands down one of the more inexpensive and filling side dishes. Plus, everyone loves potatoes!
There are just so many reasons to love this starchy filling potato.
- russet potatoes
- vegetable oil for frying
- Sauce – ketchup, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, water, and granulated sugar.
How to make Chinese Fried Blossom Potatoes.
- Cut each potato into 2″ cubes and remove the skins while shaping.
- Place the potato between a set of chopsticks.
- Slice the potato in one direction and then the other at a 90-degree angle to create squares.
- Place potatoes into cold water for 30 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from the water and dry them well.
- Dredge potatoes into cornstarch and coat evenly.
- Heat vegetable oil until hot. Place potatoes into the oil and fry for 10 minutes and then flip and fry on the other side for 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
How to make Potato Sauce.
- Mix ketchup, soy sauce, vinegar, water, and sugar, and mix well.
- Place in the microwave for 60 seconds.
- Stir well and heat for an additional 60 seconds or until boiling.
- Stir until smooth, and the sugar is no longer grainy.
- Drizzle sauce over potatoes before serving.
Would we make these TikTok Chinese Potatoes again?
These potato flowers are good; I was super hesitant about the “sauce,” but it ended up being really good. A little sweet, and I liked it. I cheated and microwaved the sauce, and that worked great.
I would double the sauce (as listed here) because I liked the sauce, and really, is there such a thing as too much sauce?!?
My potatoes were big, and one potato yielded three squares. I don’t think that’s normal!
I do think they cut theirs in much smaller columns and rows. I don’t know how you get it to “blossom,” but mine didn’t a ton.
They were good, though. Plain, nope, but with sauce, yes.
Related Trending Recipes
- Causing an internet storm this week is this butter boards recipe. Smothered in butter and toppings, this charcuterie board trend has everyone talking.
- Summer may be over, but the reason to share a trending dip recipe isn’t.
- The air fryer isn’t just for chicken! Try making Air Fryer Apple slices.
- Little Debbies got the oatmeal cream pie right…now check out a new way to eat it with this TikTok Oatmeal Creme Pie Cheesecake.
- Endless ways to enjoy the Ramen noodle…here are our two favorites with TikTok Ramen Noodles and TikTok Garlic Sesame Noodles.
- Lastly, a fresh new dinner with a one-pan dump and bake chicken alfredo recipe. Filling and easy, and the kids love it.