Side dish done right, this Smashed Brussels Sprouts recipe with Parmesan cheese, takes oven baked Brussels Sprouts to the next level.
Incredibly easy to make, perfect for a steak side dish, this vegetable side is sheet pan done in no time at all!
Brussels Sprouts are one of the few vegetables that can be Air Fried, Oven baked or skillet fried and be delicious every time. Do not let the simple ingredients fool you – this side dish is full of flavor!
You may have seen crispy roasted Brussels Sprouts all over TikTok, Instagram, Pinterest and pretty much every social media site there is. The premise to all the recipes are the same and smashing vegetables has been around a long time in the food blogging community! Because we were personally inspired to test these out with our own batch of Brussels Sprouts, we want to give credit to Mike Elendar from MeatLikeMike.
Please visit Mike to see all his meat recipes that go great with these Brussels Sprouts and many other side dishes. Let’s get started!
Brussels Sprouts Recipe
Before getting started on this recipe (or any recipe!) prep is key. Here is the ingredient list with some helpful tips to make shopping a breeze.
Once all ingredients for smashed brussels sprouts are on hand, proceed to instructions and measurements below.
Note that there is a printable recipe card on the bottom as well.
- 1lb fresh brussels sprouts – pick out brightly green sprouts with no spots and little leaves coming off
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- red pepper flakes
- grated parmesan cheese – shredded Parmesan cheese can be substituted if need be
- cracked black pepper
How to Roast Smashed Parmesan Brussels Sprouts
Preheat oven to 425.
Add brussels sprouts to a large stock pot and cover with water. Heat on medium high until boiling.
Boil Brussels Sprouts for 10 minutes or until they are fork tender.
Drain and rinse with cold water.
Add brussels sprouts to a mixing bowl and add olive oil, garlic powder, salt and red pepper flakes.
Mix ingredients well (spatula works fine) to evenly coat.
Place parchment paper onto a baking sheet, which helps prevent Brussels Sprouts from sticking to the pan. Parchment paper is a must for cooking vegetables on a sheet pan and makes clean up a breeze.
Using tongs, place brussels sprouts onto the baking sheet.
With the bottom of a glass, smash each Brussels sprout until it’s about 1/2″ thick. If you have roasted potatoes in the past, the process for smashed potatoes is the same so follow the same process.
Season each Brussels Sprout with cracked black pepper.
Place baking sheet into oven and bake for 15 minutes.
Once 15 minutes is up, flip each Brussels Sprout over with a spatula or tongs and sprinkle each individual vegetable with Parmesan cheese.
Bake Brussels Sprouts for an additional 15 minutes on the other side and serve hot.
More Brussels Sprouts Recipes
Need more easy Brussels Sprouts recipes to for upcoming menus?
- There is nothing easier than tried and true oven roasted Brussels Sprouts with just salt and pepper. Learn to make these as a go to side dish.
- Creamy Caesar Brussels Sprouts with a homemade Caesar dressing are a rich, almost main dish side.
- If you love a bit of crunchy and a bit of spicy, try breaded Buffalo Brussels Sprouts with a side of Greek yogurt veggie dip!
- Whole maple bacon brussels sprouts have the perfect bit of caramelization on them from the sweet syrup.
- Another simple holiday dish, Honey-Dijon Brussels Sprouts with cranberries is an easy slow cooker recipe.
Smashed Brussels Sprouts
Smashed Brussels Sprouts Ingredients
- 1 lb fresh brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- How to make Roasted and Smashed Parmesan Brussels Sprouts
- Pre-heat oven at 425 and place a sheet of Parchment Paper on a large sheet pan.
- Add bright green Brussels Sprouts to a large stock pot and cover with water.
- Heat stock pot on medium high until water begins boiling.
- Boil Brussels Sprouts for 10 minutes or until they are fork tender.
- Drain water and rinse Brussels Sprouts with cold water.
- Add cooled brussels sprouts to a mixing bowl and add olive oil, garlic powder, salt and red pepper flakes.
- Mix well (spatula works great) to evenly coat and using tongs, place brussels sprouts onto the baking sheet.
- With the bottom of a glass, gently smash each Brussel sprout until it’s about 1/2" thick.
- Season with cracked black pepper.
- Bake smashed Brussels Sprouts for 15 minutes in the oven.
- Flip over each one (spatula or tongs work well) and sprinkle each individual sprout with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes and serve hot, crispy, and cheesy.
- This type of Brussels Sprout also goes great with a sprinkle of cooked bacon at the end prior to serving.
- A version of this recipe is also floating around on social media (TikTok and Instagram) but has been around a long time with food bloggers. Most of the recipes are very similar and only vary slightly in seasoning.