Whether its a chicken panini or a thick delicious breakfast wrap, the TikTok tortilla trend is one of the best life hacks on folding tortillas to come out of 2020 quarantine.
Starting online with a simple three fold of a large flour tortilla, each layer contains a different delicious ingredient from a recipe that folds into a perfect triangle to fry up or chow down on.
How did the Tortilla folding trend start?
Folding a tortilla this way has long been known in the food blogging community and has made its way around the internet quite a few times. With TikTok being such a source of entertainment, user Alexandra Johnsson started the trend up again when her demonstration video hit 59 million watches.
That’s right – 59 million! That means all of us are looking for a good way to enjoy a wrap.
Tortilla Trend Recipes
To demonstrate how to fold a tortilla with the TikTok trend hack, I went with a chicken Caprese themed panini and it was really good!
This TikTok Viral trend lends itself to any set of ingredients that you may love, but be sure to try this incredible Caprese Wrap idea below!
- large burrito size tortillas (one for each Panini Wrap)
- fresh basil
- sliced tomato
- chicken, cooked and shredded
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- balsamic vinegar glaze (shown: Monari Federzoni Balsamic Glaze)
Chicken Caprese Panini Wrap
For this particular trend, any set of ingredients will work and can be altered to a breakfast recipe, lunch recipe or dinner recipe. To demonstrate, I am making a Chicken Caprese Panini wrap, keeping it super easy with Rotisserie chicken, Mozzarella cheese, some spreadable pesto, fresh basil and a delicious Balsamic Vinegar Glaze.
No matter what sandwich ingredients you add on the inside, the process is the same.
- Place tortilla onto a flat surface and cut halfway into the flour tortilla.
- Spread pesto on one quarter of the tortilla and top with fresh basil.
- Add tomato to the next quarter.
- Add shredded chicken to the third quarter and drizzle with balsamic glaze.
- Add cheese to the last quarter.
Fold the tortilla into a triangle.
Once a cut has been made into the tortilla, fold UP, then RIGHT, then DOWN, which should fold into a perfect triangle.
- Heat in a skillet on the stove until folded tortilla is browned on one side.
- Flip tortilla and heat the other side until browned and cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
Tortilla Wrap Hack Ideas
Need more ways to use this wrap hack to make perfect recipes? There are so many options from healthy wraps, to lunch wraps, to traditional wrapped quesadillas. Fillings can be added in typically 3 or 4 bunches of ingredients (works best) but more than one ingredient can easily be added in each quadrant as well.
- Vegetarian: Avocado, Tomato, Basil and Mozzarella Cheese
- Mexican: Beef, Salsa, Corn, and Cheese
- BLT: Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato and Mayo
- Cheeseburger: Beef, Lettuce, Tomato, Cheese
- Breakfast: Eggs, Bacon, Breakfast Potatoes, Cheese
- Dessert Wrap: Using a Crepe Sheet, add thick layers of Nutella, bananas and strawberries
This tortilla wrap folding technique can also be used on any other “flat” sheet folding wrap like rice paper or crepes. Additionally, there are many carb free tortillas, veggie folding wraps or even seaweed sheets.
Heating Tortilla is Optional
Heating up this tortilla wrap to have a golden crisp on the outside is entirely optional. If planning on pan frying or using a panini press to warm wrap, take care to place the melty ingredients like cheese or the heat-able items like chicken on the outside of the wrap fold. This prevents super warm vegetables on the outside and non-melted cheese on the inside.
Its also fine to use tortilla as a simple non-heated sandwich wrap. This tortilla technique can also be used as (and not fried or heated) to create regular deli meat lunch sandwiches, which are atypical from appetizer pinwheel wraps.
More Viral TikTok Recipes
As one of the first bloggers on TikTok a few years back, we are well versed in TikTok trends and viral recipe trends.
Those TikTokers sure knew how to make us run to our oven to test out viral cloud bread (plus our rainbow cloud bread version for fun!).