Mini roasted and smashed creamer potatoes are a delightful and easy side dish full of flavor in every bite. This tiny potatoes recipe is sure to go on your monthly side dish rotation!
Listen, I get it – potatoes are not considered a “healthy” vegetable.
But what potatoes are is freaking delicious. So if you are reading this, chances are you are fully prepared to eat savory, salty, creamy potatoes and revel in all the amazingness that they are- which is not keto friendly, haha.
Creamer Potato Recipe Ingredients
This simple potato side dish recipe can be altered fairly easily. While I keep it super easy with basic ingredients, its fine to add a bit of minced garlic or substitute fresh rosemary in place of parsley. Once you have a smashed crispy mini potato, the possibilities to alter this recipe are endless!
Here is what you need to gather or see if you have on hand to make this recipe. All measurements are in the printable recipe version at the bottom of the post:
- Little Potato Company Creamer Potatoes
- olive oil – EVOO is fine as well
- fresh parsley
What kind of Mini Potatoes Smash Best?
I like to use the Little Potato Company Creamer Potatoes.
These potatoes are very small, 1-2″ in size. I’d say 3-5 are a serving, so you can get about 6-8 servings out of this, which makes a bag a good value.
- Red Mini Potatoes – Firmer and colorful
- White Mini Potatoes – Creamier
- For this recipe, it is not advisable to use Russet potatoes or large red potatoes, as cooking times will be way different.
Prep Little Potatoes for Oven Baking
Poke each potato with a fork and place potatoes onto a microwave safe bowl and microwave for four minutes.
Flip potatoes over and microwave for an additional 4 minutes.
This step allows the potatoes to soften enough to go right into the oven and crisp properly, so do not skip this step.
Also, its important to note that when you microwave that long, the bowls get REALLY hot, so be careful.
Roasted Smashed Potatoes with Skins
Preheat oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper and grease with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
Place pre-softened creamer potatoes in a large mixing bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
Sprinkle potatoes generously with salt and pepper and toss well to coat.
Place onto prepared baking sheet, keeping space between them.
Using the bottom of a drinking glass, smash down until potatoes are about 3/8″ thick.
A measuring cup, back of a large spoon, or a rolling pin also works to mash potatoes down on sheet pan.
Bake potatoes for 6 minutes and flip over and bake for another 6 minutes so both sides get equally crispy and done.
Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh parsley and melted butter before serving.
Nutritional information for Mini Potatoes
The bag of Little Potato Company White Creamer Potatoes states that 4-5 potatoes is 19 carbs.
Can you substitute Dried Parsley Over Fresh?
In this recipe, I do not recommend substituting fresh herbs. Since the parsley is added at the end, dried parsley wont be soft enough to enjoy.
You can easily skip this ingredient or substitute for fresh dill.
Variations of the Crispy Smashed Potato
- Do not be afraid to add some shredded cheese or Parmesan Cheese prior to removing from oven (and let melt a minute or two)
- Add a dollop of sour cream on the side prior to serving
- Try other seasonings – like fresh minced garlic or garlic salt.
More Easy Potato Side Dish Recipes
Potatoes maek the perfect side dish and if you think so too, you are in the right spot!
- 1-1/2 lbs. Little Potatoes Company White Creamer potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- chopped fresh parsley
PREP THE POTATOES
- Poke each potato with a fork and place potatoes onto a microwave safe bowl and microwave for four minutes.
- Flip potatoes over and microwave for an additional 4 minutes.
HOW TO MAKE MINI SMASHED POTATOES
- Preheat oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper and grease with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place mini potatoes in a mixing bowl and coat with oil.
- Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and toss well to coat so all potatoes get seasoned.
- Place mini creamer potatoes onto prepared baking sheet and smash with the bottom of a drinking glass until potatoes are about 3/8" thick. Try your best to keep potatoes even with one another so some do not over or under cook.
- Bake potatoes in oven for 6 minutes and flip over and bake for another 6 minutes so both sides get crispy and roasted.
- Remove mini potatoes from oven and sprinkle with parsley and melted butter before serving.
BEST WAY TO SMASH
- Use the bottom of a glass, a measuring cup, back of spoon, or a rolling pin to evenly and easily smash mini potatoes
- It is ok to substitute white creamer potatoes for mini reds
- The best way to serve is to melt down a half a stick of butter and pour over potatoes prior to serving (as shown in the video) - YUM
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 181Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 368mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.