Air fryer onions with tons of flavor, soft onion centers, and the right amount of golden brown are perfect to snack on in under 10 minutes.
Chow down on the individual onion petals as an appetizer, or simply use this recipe to pair with a steak recipe, burgers, or fajitas!
Why you will love this TikTok Snack Recipe!
Health Benefits: There are many people that believe eating an onion a day is essential. While I think that may be overkill, onions indeed help reduce cholesterol and blood clots. Yellow onions specifically have many antioxidants and are high in fiber and vitamins. And the good news is that these benefits extend to raw and cooked onions both, so snack away!
Snack Away: It’s easy to fall back on chips for a snack, but the air fryer makes it easy to enjoy something unique. In 10 minutes, onions can be ready with your favorite dipping sauce. Yum!
Viral Recipe: As always, this TikTok appetizer was loved by over 360K people, so this one is totally viral. This recipe was originally shared by Ali Grace . We loved it so much we wanted to test it and share it with you!
- Yellow onion – The original TikTok recipe uses an entire yellow onion. I see no reason why a white onion couldn’t be used, but white onions are traditionally tangy, and yellow ones are sweeter.
- Italian bread crumbs – Italian breadcrumbs usually have herbs and seasonings like oregano, basil, and garlic. It’s OK to use regular bread crumbs as well.
- Seasoning salt – Seasoning salt is super easy to use for the best flavor, but garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, kosher salt, and black pepper are great substitutes.
- Nonstick cooking spray – Any nonstick cooking spray will work fine with cooked onions. The only note I would make is that olive oil spray has a flavor.
How to make Air Fried Onions
- Slice onion into wedges, then separate each of the onion slices and place them into a bowl.
- Spray with nonstick cooking spray, mix and spray again.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs and mix well to coat evenly—season with seasoning salt.
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Place onions into the air fryer basket. Overall you want the onions to be in a single layer, but they can touch. Air Crisp the onions for 4 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Shake the basket and return to Air Crisp for 4 minutes at 400 degrees until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from air fryer and enjoy.
Are TikTok Air Fried Onions Crispy?
When you air fry onions, they are not as crispy as deep frying and get a crispy coating. While I am sure there is a way to do super crispy air fryer onion strings or an air-fried blooming onion, this recipe is specifically to show you how to cook onions with a bit of delicious flavor.
What onions work best for Air Frying?
Onions can be sweet or spicy, and many kinds are used in recipes to create a robust recognizable flavor. When eating onions alone or with bread crumbs, Vidalia onions, Maui onions, Yellow onions, or sweet onions work best.
Why Air Frying over Deep Frying?
Deep-fried onions work great for super crispy onion straws or onion rings (Like the kind you see in Outback Steak House). If you are looking for a big crunch, deep frying is always the best bet. But not everyone wants the entire onion with oil dripping from it.
Air Frying gives you a delicious taste that is healthier, and those onion petals are divine- no cooking oil needed!
Related TikTok Snack Recipes
- Try these pickle cookies for a quick, no-cook, no-bake, no-trouble snack that can be ready in 5 minutes.
- This fried pickle recipe and ranch pickle recipe also take advantage of the dill pickle into the best snack food.
- Are you looking for a sweet snack? This churro chips recipe with cinnamon sugar takes flour tortillas to new levels. Dip them into hot cocoa dip for a real treat!