Easy apple butter recipe chillin’ in a crock pot. Learn how to make smooth or chunky homemade apple butter that goes perfect on breakfast toast or even a dinner recipe like sage pork! Plus, your house will smell divine.
HOME STYLE APPLE BUTTER RECIPE
This recipe is relatively quick to prepare, maybe 10 minutes and then add your cooking time in a crock pot (which is a lot longer).
But the great thing about a slow cooker is you do not have to babysit your food!
Scroll to the bottom for a printable version of this post, including all measurements and instructions, so you can follow along in your kitchen without being on your phone.
Here is what ingredients you need to gather to get started:
RELATED CONDIMENT RECIPES: Cinnamon Sugar Butter
Chunky or Smooth Apple Butter?
If your apple butter looks like applesauce and you want a smooth apple butter, you can use an immersion blender to blend it.
You might need to add a little water (start with 1/2 cup) and blend until the consistency is that of what you desire.
You can also whisk it to be smoother, but I prefer chunky!
This apple butter is pretty sweet so you can always adjust the sugar to your liking, too.
CAN YOU DOUBLE THIS APPLE BUTTER RECIPE?
This recipe is also easy to double if you have a large slow cooker. You can also use the left overs to make Apple Butter Bread.
BEST WAY TO CUT AN APPLE
For this recipe, you do have to remove the apples skins.
Personally I hate peeling apples, but I do have an apple slicer and it makes it SO MUCH EASIER to get make sure all the apples are uniform in size (so even cooking) and its super easy to use a pairing knife to do the apple skin at that point.
Its a FANTASTIC kitchen item- you really don’t know what you are missing until you have one.
They have them with a little bottom that helps push the apples out of the slicer or just the slicer itself which you can push down on a cutting board (as shown).
HOW TO MAKE APPLE BUTTER
Add apples, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt in a slow cooker and mix well.
Place the lid on the slow cooker and heat on high for 2 hours.
Reduce heat to low for 8-10 hours or until apples are cooked through.
You want your apples to be dark brown, and mushy/soft.
Stir in butter until melted.
Use a potato masher, back of the spoon or whisk to break up apples.
Makes 1-1/4 cups
How to Store Homemade Apple Butter
Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to a week. You might be able to can apple butter longer, but truthfully that is out of my knowledge so I do not want to lend advice on long term storage.
If anyone reading knows more about canning, please feel free to comment below to help other readers. Thank you!
- 2-1/2 lbs apples, peeled and cored
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
How to make Apple Butter in the Crock Pot
- Add apples, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt in a slow cooker and mix well.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and heat on high for 2 hours.
- Reduce heat to low for 8-10 hours or until apples are cooked through.
- You want your apples to be dark brown, and mushy/soft.
- Stir in butter until melted.
- Use a potato masher, back of the spoon or whisk to break up apples.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
Apple Butter Recipe Tips
- This is clearly chunk or home style apple butter. Now, if you want it smooth, you can use an immersion blender to blend it. You might need to add a little water (start with 1/2 cup) and blend until the consistency is that of what you desire.
- You can also whisk the butter t to be smoother, but I prefer chunky! This is sweet so you can always adjust the sugar to your liking, too.
- This recipe is also easy to double if you have a large slow cooker.
- Apple butter like this is great for toast, bagels, English muffins, as well as pork main dish dinners. I also use extra as an ingredient in my apple bread recipe.
- Serving size is super complicated to figure out with condiments since most "experts" only use 1 tablespoon as a serving size - thats typically unrealistic so please rely on your own apps to customize what you eat and the nutritional value
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 136Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 63mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 29gProtein: 0g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.