Did you know that making your own homemade flour tortillas is super simple? This TikTok Viral Homemade Flour Tortilla recipe will teach out how to make buttery soft, and melt in your mouth tortillas so you never ever have to purchase a store-bought bagged tortilla again!
When this tortilla recipe went viral on TikTok and landed on our FYP, we knew it was one we HAD to try. And this recipe did not fail. Aside from the ease of rolling the dough into a ball, this recipe brings Mexican night to your home’s next level.
Plus, it’s super easy to make and store homemade flour tortillas to enjoy all week long!
TikTok Viral Homemade Flour Tortilla Recipe
To get started on the tortilla dough, first need to collect some ingredients. Most of these tortilla ingredients will be available in pantries, so hopefully no store visits.
To be clear, there is no lard, yeast, or baking soda in this flour tortilla recipe. Also, flour tortillas are not used to make homemade tortilla chips; you need corn tortillas for that.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
Create Flour Tortilla Dough
- Add all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl and mix well.
- Dissolve butter into 1 cup of water.
- Pour water into the flour mixture and mix until blended.
- Cover with plastic wrap for 15 minutes. Separate dough into ten balls.
- Balls are a little larger than golf ball.
- Place into the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let tortilla dough stand for 10 minutes.
Creating Perfect Round Flour Tortillas
One of my weaknesses is rolling things into a ball. I’m not kidding. When I make cake bites, I always use a portion scoop because I can’t ever roll things into a ball. It’s just not in my genes. In fact, as a kid, when my mom would make peanut butter blossoms, I’d help her, and she would roll all the dough into balls, and mine all looked like footballs.
I cannot roll things into balls! That could be why I struggled with my rolling tortilla shape. They aren’t super round! They work fine but don’t look like something you buy at the grocery store.
- Separate dough into ten balls. Balls are a little larger than a golf ball.
- Place into the bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let dough balls stand for 10 minutes.
- Roll each ball onto a lightly floured surface until about 9-10″ and flat in size.
How do you make Tortillas from Scratch?
- Heat a skillet on medium heat.
- Place onto a hot skillet and heat for about 2-3 minutes or until bubbles form.
- Flip and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Repeat until all dough balls are rolled and cooked into tortillas.
Common Homemade Tortilla Questions
Where did the TikTok Homemade Flour Tortilla recipe come from? We always like to share the amazing viral recipes we test for you from the original creator.
Occasionally we alter the recipes so you can find and follow the original recipe with SaltyConcina on TikTok here. She shares quick and easy authentic Mexican recipes.
How long do homemade tortillas keep: Unlike store-bought preserved tortillas that can last up to 90 days, homemade tortillas do not keep for weeks at a time, so these are best made and used the same week you make them. They can be sealed in a baggie with no air for about 2-3 days or placed in the fridge for up to a week.
How to store homemade flour tortillas: Store sealed in the fridge for up to 1 week.
How to reheat flour tortillas: I find that putting tortillas in the microwave for about 10 seconds to heat up helps make them pliable again after being in the fridge. I also do this with my store-bought tortillas.
How to serve tortillas: Once flour tortillas are made, wrap them in a piece of foil that is kept tight around a stack of tortillas. Foil retains the heat and moisture, which is perfect for fajita night. Just unwrap, take the tortilla, and rewrap in foil till you want another fajita or taco.
Related Viral Mexican Recipes
- Easy and delicious, this awesome and fun TikTok Walking Tacos recipe is a kid and family favorite.
- Churro chips is a great on theme viral dessert recipe to serve up after dinner.
- If you have any leftover loaded smoked queso dip, it goes amazing in these homemade flour tortillas as a wrap!
- You will love this cheesy Mexican Style chicken recipe for a weeknight viral dinner.
Leave A Reply!