Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Shells with Frank’s Hot Sauce is a savory twist on an old recipe favorite. Dial up the deliciousness with easy to make chicken stuffed shells and instead of an Italian base, smother in hot sauce and even blue cheese if you want! Try something new tonight!
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Shells – No Ricotta
Before you get started on this recipe, you will need the following ingredients. Then scroll down for full Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Shells Measurements and instructions on creating this recipe – including a full recipe card that you can print for free that helps you shop and create easily in your kitchen –
- jumbo pasta shells
- cooked and shredded chicken breast
- Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- cottage cheese
- melted butter
- shredded cheese
- green onions
Popular Hot Sauces
I recommend using Frank’s Red Hot sauce, but there really are so many amazing hot sauces out there, so just use your favorite. There are even hot sauce/ranch blends that would be creamy and delicious as substitute.
How to make Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Shells
Note on serving size: The box said there were 5 servings in it, so I’d say this recipe serves 5-6 people. 7 shells is 1 serving (although I do not believe I have ever eaten more than 3 shells without being stuffed)
Prep your Pasta Shells
- Cook pasta shells according to package directions (about 9-10 minutes) and drain.
- Rinse shells with cold water.
- Set cooked shells aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease a 9 x 13 pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- You will need to cook your chicken prior to starting this Buffalo Chicken Shells Recipe – use a pressure cooker to quickly cook and shred fresh chicken breasts or if you are in a pinch, canned and drained chicken works fine. Personally I feel like if you are going to go to all the trouble of making shells, you should use fresh chicken if you have the opportunity, but I also know that not every product is widely available everywhere so do not let it stop you if you have canned chicken at home.
Prep your Buffalo Chicken Mix
- In a mixing bowl, combine chicken, hot sauce, cottage cheese and butter.
- Mix all ingredients really well, breaking up any chicken chunks so its as even as possible for your shells.
- Spoon buffalo chicken mixture into cooked shells and place into prepared baking dish.
- Repeat until all shells are stuffed.
- Sprinkle top of shells with shredded cheese (you can add as much as you want here- covering the shells entirely with cheese is fine)
- Bake stuffed shells for 15-20 minutes or until center is hot and cheese is melted on the top.
Enjoy your Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Shells!
- Serve topped with chopped green onions if desired.
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Shells Recipe Variations
- Try this recipe in Stuffed Peppers instead of Shells
- Substitute for cottage cheese – Cream Cheese or Ricotta Cheese
- Instead of chicken, use beef
- Smother the top with Blue Cheese and Extra Hot Sauce
- Drizzle with Ranch Dressing before Serving
I love to hear your feed back so if you made this recipe, please come back and leave me a comment on what you liked or any changes you made that worked (or didn’t!)
- 1 box, 16 oz, jumbo pasta shells
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast
- 1, 5oz, container Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 16 oz, cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- chopped green onions, optional for serving
- Cook pasta shells according to package directions (about 9-10 minutes) and drain. Rinse with cold water. Set aside. Sometimes when shells sit for a bit while you prep, they stick together. If this happens to you, just rinse them off with water prior to stuffing.
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease a 9x13 pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set dish aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cooked and shredded chicken, your favorite hot sauce, cottage cheese and melted butter. Mix all ingredients really well.
- Spoon buffalo chicken mixture into cooked shells and place shells into prepared baking dish.
- Repeat until all shells are stuffed and in dish.
- Sprinkle tops of stuffed shells with shredded cheese- you are welcome to cover entire shells if you like more cheese in your dish.
- Bake buffalo stuffed shells for 15-20 minutes or until center is hot and top is melted.
- Serve topped with chopped green onions if desired (which bring in some pretty color if you are serving to a crowd).
As noted in the blog post, there are some great variations to this recipe. Try adding blue cheese and ranch, extra hot sauce, or changing cottage cheese to ricotta.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 416Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 86mgSodium: 1117mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 29g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.