Looking for a fresh, marinated Cucumber Salad with Vinegar and chopped dill?
This spring and summer side salad is a perfect addition to wraps, hamburgers, and hot dogs and looks gorgeous on a table.
Easily adaptable with a variety of crunchy veggies and prepped/marinated in just 30 minutes, this cucumber salad with all its dill and light vinaigrette is a healthy side dish salad that everyone will enjoy.
Why you should make Old Fashioned Cucumber and Onion Salad
Garden Friendly: When it comes to spring and summer, many people (including myself) are excited to start reaping the fruits of our labor in the garden. This old-fashioned salad is a time-honored tradition for gathering your veggies and enjoying the produce season.
No Dairy – While I certainly love a creamy cucumber salad recipe, it’s just as nice to enjoy a more light version.
Cucumbers go with everything: This salad is a light lunch or simple side dish recipe but also goes great to balance out a heavier meal like a BBQ chicken sandwich or cheeseburger.
Lovely, fresh English cucumbers marinated in a simple apple cider vinegar and oil dressing, fresh dill herbs, and delicious crunchy red peppers are a great summer salad recipe choice!
- English cucumbers – English Cucumber slices should be sliced thin.
- Fresh vegetables – Yellow, orange, or red bell peppers chopped look gorgeous and taste delicious. Additionally, add red onions.
- Tomatoes – Typically use Grape tomatoes, but cherry tomatoes are fine. All tomatoes should be cut in half.
- Homemade Dressing Recipe – Fresh chopped dill (always use fresh herbs in salads not dried), olive oil, apple cider vinegar, white sugar, plus salt and black pepper. This dressing is not a creamy dressing but is perfect for this simple salad.
You can substitute English cucumbers for two regular cucumbers, sliced thin. See the recipe card for additional pepper notes.
How to make Cucumber Salad with Fresh Dill
- Add crisp cucumber, diced bell peppers, tomatoes, sweet onion, and fresh dill to a mixing bowl and mix well.
- In a separate smaller bowl, add oil, vinegar, and granulated sugar and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture over cucumbers and mix.
- Let flavors mingle and marinate for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add additional sugar (1 teaspoon at a time) if you’d like a sweeter version of this salad. Serve salad immediately or refrigerate covered until ready to serve.
- Mix well before serving.
- Add additional salt and pepper if desired.
Is this Summer Salad Keto Friendly?
Cucumbers are acceptable for keto and low-carb diets and make up some of the more refreshing salads on hot summer days.
Here is the nutritional information for this particular cucumber salad- broken down into six servings.
This site uses Carb Manager, which automatically inputs the ingredients into the system and gives an estimated nutritional value. Please always be careful to double-check with your apps.
Apple Cider Vinegar or Red Wine?
There are so many types of vinegar that changing up what you use can change the flavors!
I prefer apple cider vinegar in this salad, but try it with Balsamic Vinegar, Red Wine Vinegar, or white wine vinegar!
Cucumber Vinegar Salad Variations
This salad is so good the way it is and perfects as a side salad or picnic, but you can add a few different things to boost up ingredients if you like.
- Change the tomatoes from grape tomatoes to cherry tomatoes, Roma, or slicing tomatoes.
- Instead of slicing cucumber thin, quarter them.
- Add crumbled soft cheese, like feta or blue cheese.
- Add larger or more bites of different colored peppers.
- Try slices of white onions over red if you want more of a “bite.”
Related Cucumber Recipes
- This Radish Cucumber Salad has a nice bite. The radishes are colorful and tart, and the cucumbers are fresh and sweet!
- Not just for salad, Cucumbers are great on their own! Sit down with a bowl of this Addicting Cucumber Dip Recipe and enjoy!
- This Fresh Cucumber & Tomato Salad Recipe is a perfect way to enjoy a healthy lunch recipe that takes under 10 minutes to make.
Leave A Reply!