Spinach Casserole Recipe with Fried Onion Topping is a creamed spinach side dish casserole loaded with rich cream cheese, healthy spinach, and crispy crunchy onions. This spinach recipe would make even Popeye proud!
Spinach Casserole with Fried Onion Topping
*scroll to the bottom of the recipe if you do not like tips or alterations. I keep an easy to print and follow recipe card there in every post*
Tired of the same old side dish recipes? Then you will love trying spinach tonight!
This nontraditional side is a great recipe change out of the norm of green beans and carrots. You could argue that Spinach casserole is a Southern Dish and I see it served a lot here in the south along side black eyed peas and other fried things that are not good for you – we call it “balance.”
Spinach casserole is also a great dish to prep for holidays like Thanksgiving.
Scroll to the bottom for a printable version of this post, including all measurements and instructions, so you can follow along in your kitchen without being on your phone.
Here is what you need to gather to get started:
- frozen chopped spinach
- cream cheese
- condensed mushroom soup
- minced garlic
- french fried onions for mixture
- french fried onions for topping
- optional – 2 tsp minced garlic
Fresh or Frozen Spinach?
When making creamed casseroles, I prefer to use FROZEN spinach that has already been defrosted and any excess water drained out of the package so your casserole does not get too soggy.
Spinach Casserole Toppings
Other topping options: I love fried onion toppings and they are so complimentary to green casseroles like this one.
If you happen to not like these type of crunchy onions (or you are on a keto or low carb diet) but still want a topper, here are a few additional ways to top your spinach casserole:
- Simply use shredded cheese – Cheddar is highly popular for nearly all casserole dishes
- Ritz Crackers
- Ruffles potato chips always make a great crispy topping
- Crispy, Cooked Bacon, chopped up and layered
Creamed Spinach Casserole
It’s true that creamy casseroles can be made with all veggie types.
My favorite (most peoples favorite) is broccoli cheese casserole with ritz topping, but there really are a variety of amazing vegetables to choose from that make delicious and interesting side dishes!
Growing up, spinach always got a super bad rap (except with Popeye) and I shied away quite a bit.
But as an adult, I enjoy fresh and frozen spinach both and when wrapped up with cream cheese and the right seasonings, chopped spinach is a great way to get your greens AND enjoy them.
Let’s get cooking!
Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Combine spinach and cream cheese in a mixing bowl.
Stir in soup, minced garlic, pepper and salt and mix well.
Fold in 1 cup french fried onions.
Spoon into prepared baking pan.
Sprinkle with remaining french fried onions.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and cream cheese is melted and serve.
Made this recipe and have feedback on your own personal changes or if you liked it?
Feel free to rate and leave me a comment – I love hearing how it worked for you and any alterations you made!
Casseroles you will Love
- Sweet Corn Casserole
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole
- Zucchini Tomato Casserole
- Loaded Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
- 2 packages, 12 oz each, frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 block, 8 oz, cream cheese, softened
- 1 can, 10.5 oz, condensed mushroom soup
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups french fried onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine thawed and drained frozen spinach and cream cheese in a mixing bowl.
- Add in cream of mushroom soup, garlic, pepper and salt and combine well, until cream cheese is incorporated in the mixture.
- Fold 1 cup french fried onions into the spinach mixture.
- Spoon creamy spinach casserole into prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle top of casserole with remaining 1 cup of French Fried Onions.
- Bake casserole for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and melted.
- Serves approximately 8-10 as a side
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 168Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 367mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.