Full of flavor, Frito chicken casserole is a super simple throwback recipe from when you were a kid.
Also known as Frito Pie or Frito bake, this chicken version is a perfectly cheesy and comforting family favorite weeknight dinner.
Why you will love making Frito Pie!
Full of robust flavors – With ingredients you often see in taco or burrito casseroles, the black beans, chillis, and corn combines for some of the best family-friendly flavors ever.
An old-fashioned childhood classic, traditional recipes still make the grade even in 2023.
Easy to switch up – Original Frito pie recipes contain beef and crunchy Fritos.
This chicken casserole version needs no side dishes to complete and is a perfectly tasty twist ready in 30 minutes.
- chicken breast
- diced onion
- canned items – black beans, whole kernel corn, cream of chicken soup, and diced green chilies.
- Cheeses required – cream cheese and shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican Cheese Blend.
- Frito corn chips
- chopped fresh cilantro.
Optional seasonings for the chicken – salt, black pepper, chili powder, and minced garlic.
How to make Frito Chicken Casserole.
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease 9×13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add butter, uncooked chicken, and diced onion to a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat until onions are translucent and the chicken is no longer pink.
- Stir in rinsed black beans, corn, cream of chicken soup, chilies, and cream cheese.
- Cook over medium-low heat until the cream cheese is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Place 1/3 of the crunchy corn chips onto the bottom of the baking dish.
- Top with half of the chicken mixture and 1/3 of the shredded cheese. Repeat, ending with Fritos corn chips and cheese on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, serve Frito chicken casserole with chopped fresh cilantro or one of your favorite toppings listed below.
This can be mixed up with shredded chicken or a ground beef mixture.
Change up the casserole ingredients with jalapenos or canned tomatoes.
Add favorite toppings – While this busy weeknights dish needs no side dish recipe (it’s a pretty filling complete meal), serve it with guac, sour cream, hot sauce, chopped green onion, salsa, and black olives for toppings.
Need a side? – All Mexican Inspired meals like this go great with refried beans, chips, and salsa.
Amazing Chicken Casserole Recipes
Need more dinner recipes to create the perfect delicious meal and comfort food this week? All of these casserole recipes are perfect for families!
A great dinner, this cheeseburger casserole recipe also makes excellent second-day leftovers for lunch.
Love a million-dollar recipe? Try Million dollar chicken casserole to take that favorite dip and turn it into dinner.
Cream of soups makes excellent casserole bases! Our favorite is this cream of chicken tater tot casserole we found all kids love.
One of our household favorites is this simple but excellent chicken rice casserole recipe.
Lastly, vegetarians are not left out with this highly-rated 5-star layered zucchini tomato casserole!
Leave A Reply!