Fluffy puff pastry breadsticks with parmesan cheese leave behind homemade dough but still provide something special as a side dish for your next meal.
Easy to make pull apart soft or as crispy twisted sticks, this cheesy breadsticks recipe is bite after bite delicious.
Why you will love making Flaky Twisted Breadsticks.
Traditionally when you want to make breadsticks or garlic knots, you need to drag out the dough hook, silicon mats, dry yeast, and make bread dough.
Not with this recipe! Skip the complicated sticky dough and opt for a premade puff pastry sheet.
By working in strips, this is a foolproof method for cheese bread twists that isn’t complicated.
The strips of dough from a sheet of puff pastry result in a delicious flaky stick that will become one of your family’s favorite recipes. Perfect for pasta dishes too!
- package of frozen puff pastry
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- cayenne pepper
- white cheddar cheese
- grated Parmesan cheese
How to make Parmesan Puff Pastry Breadsticks
- Preheat oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the pastry onto a floured surface (or an additional sheet of parchment paper), and using a rolling pin, roll the dough, so it’s about 15″ in length.
- Spread oil on the surface of the dough. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Sprinkle white cheddar and 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese on the dough.
- Top with plastic wrap and use a rolling pin to press the cheese into the dough. Remove the plastic wrap and discard.
- Use a pastry or pizza cutter to cut the dough. First, cut the seams so you have three rectangles from the puff pastry sheet.
- Then cut each rectangle into thirds. Twist each piece of dough about 8-9 times and place onto a prepared baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan on the puff pastry dough breadsticks.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Flip the breadsticks over and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- If desired, return to the oven for 5-10 minutes for golden brown crispy breadsticks. Ideally, you don’t want a droopy breadstick, but it’s a personal preference.
- Cool just a little and serve crispy warm breadsticks immediately.
Tips for Breadtwists
If you want them crispier, cut them thinner, so maybe get 18 (double) out of the batch vs. the 9 I made.
If the sticks are wider, it’s more bread-like, and thinner strips will be denser and crispier.
Looser, and you get more of a bread-like twist; tighter, and it’s crispier. I also think cooking it longer makes a difference!
Use any cheese you want.
Homemade breadsticks do not keep well for leftovers, so make them to serve and eat.
Recipe as shown: I baked mine for 25 minutes in total. 10 minutes. Flip. 10 minutes more. Flip. 5 minutes. Done.
Best dips for Homemade Breadsticks
Without a doubt, soup is the best way to enjoy a breadstick. We recommend trying these flaky cheese sticks with an easy cheesy lasagna soup recipe or a creamy tomato bisque recipe.
Other great dipping sauces are garlic butter topping (or any buttery topping), marinara sauce, a butter board, or ranch dip.
Related Bread Side Dish Recipes
Looking for another excellent bread side dish?
We adore this sweet cornbread recipe, Christmas tree pull-apart bread, southern skillet cornbread, and this fantastic bread pudding recipe.
Leave A Reply!