Looking for a delicious and simple recipe to add to your side dish menu? Look no further than the BEST cream of chicken tater tot casserole you’ve ever tasted!
This casserole recipe is a traditional family favorite that is sure to please everyone’s palate. This meal is the ultimate in classic comfort food, with its creamy sauce and gratifying tater tots.
Whether you’re cooking for a family gathering or just looking for a delicious and satisfying no-meat meal or filling side dish, this cream of chicken tater tot casserole is sure to be a hit.
So why wait? Try it out for yourself and see just what a delicious recipe this is!
Why you will love making Creamy Tater Tot Casserole
Tater tot casserole is a versatile and easy-to-make side dish that complements a wide range of main courses. With its cheesy and filling potato goodness, it’s a classic and kid-friendly meal that can also be customized with vegetable toppings for a more adult twist.
Plus, it’s travel-friendly and can be baked and stored in a covered dish. Whether you’re serving a large family or a party, this timeless dish is sure to satisfy.
With a layer of tater tots, creamy soup, sour cream, and topped with fried onions, this recipe is a great side dish to feed a hungry family or as a seasonal potluck idea.
Because there is no inherently strong spices, this dish is a traditional, classic and basic meal that kids tend to eat up and can be spiced up with veggie toppings for the adults – making it versatile as well.
- tater tots, frozen
- sour cream
- cream of chicken soup
- shredded cheese
- French fried onions
- Optional toppings: chopped fresh tomatoes and chopped fresh parsley
How to Make Tater Tot Casserole with Cream of Chicken Soup.
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9×13 pan.
- Place frozen tater tots on the bottom of the oven-safe casserole dish in one layer (or as much as possible, a little overlapping won’t change the recipe) and set the baking dish aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add sour cream, cream soup, and cheese. Optionally season with black pepper. Mix all ingredients well.
- Spread the cream of chicken soup and sour cream mixture on top of the layer of frozen potato tots.
- Generously top the whole thing with French fried onions (or one of the alternative toppings listed).
- Bake tater tot casserole for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly on the edges and warmed through.
- Remove from oven and top with chopped fresh tomatoes, green onions, and fresh parsley before serving as a side dish to your favorite meal.
Tater Tot Casserole Recipe Alterations
French Fried Onions are a classic and flavorful topping for casseroles, but if you don’t have them, don’t worry. You can try other ingredients like crushed potato chips, croutons, or even Rice Krispies cereal for that desirable crunch.
For more toppings on your tater tot casserole, bacon bits, diced tomatoes, avocado, and parsley can elevate the dish’s presentation and taste and make it a complete meal.
While the recipe calls for cream of chicken soup, you can also add freshly cut onions for more depth of flavor.
To make a heartier dinner, you can turn this casserole into a Cowboy Tater Tot Casserole by adding a pound of cooked lean ground beef and substituting cream of mushroom for the soup.
If you want more seasonings, consider adding garlic powder, onion powder, freshly cracked pepper, and sea salt for extra taste.
What cream of soups go best with tater tot hot dish?
There are various different types of cream-based soups that can be used as a base for hearty casseroles. Here are some popular choices and alternatives:
Cream of mushroom soup is a traditional topping for tater tot casserole. The earthy flavor of the mushrooms complements the creamy texture of the soup, making it an ideal accompaniment to the potato and cheese in the casserole.
Cream of chicken soup: Another popular option, cream of chicken soup gives the baked chicken recipe a slight chicken taste while still providing a creamy base. It’s a versatile alternative that complements a wide range of toppings and mix-ins.
Cream of celery soup: Because it has a softer flavor than cream of mushroom or cream of chicken, this soup is a wonderful choice if you want the other ingredients in the casserole to shine. It retains a creamy texture and a mild vegetable flavor.
Cheddar cheese soup: A terrific way to add more cheese to your tater tot casserole is to make cheddar cheese soup. It has a creamy, cheesy flavor that pairs well with the potatoes and can be used in place of cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup.
Is tater tot casserole the same thing as Funeral Potatoes?
It has very similar ingredients but “funeral potatoes” typically use hash browns as the base and cornflakes as the top layer.
What are some variations of tater tot casserole?
Some variations of tater tot casserole include adding vegetables like green beans, broccoli, or corn, using different types of cheese, adding in spices like garlic powder or onion powder, or substituting cream of mushroom soup for cream of chicken soup.
Can tater tot hot dish be made ahead of time?
Yes, tater tot casserole can be assembled ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to bake. This makes it a great option for meal prep or for entertaining guests.
How long does it take to bake cream of chicken tater tot casserole?
Tater tot casserole typically takes 35-45 minutes to bake in a 350-degree oven or until the tater tots are golden brown and crispy.
Easy Casserole Side Dish Recipes
You can find a variety of casserole recipes here, but here are a few of my favorites:
Cream of Chicken Tater Tot Casserole
- 32 oz. tater tots frozen
- 16 oz. sour cream
- 10.5 oz. cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese shredded
- 6 oz. French fried onions
- chopped fresh tomatoes
- chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9×13 pan.
- Place frozen tater tots on the bottom of the pan with minimal to no overlap and set baking dish aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add sour cream, cream of chicken soup and shredded cheddar cheese. Mix all ingredients together well.
- Spread soup mixture on top of tater tots and top with French fried onions.
- Bake tater tot casserole for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly and hot on the edges.
- Remove tater tot casserole from oven and top with chopped fresh tomatoes and parsley before serving.
Nutritional Disclaimer: The nutritional data provided here is auto-calculated and intended for your convenience only. As it’s generated via automation, its accuracy may be compromised. For precise nutritional insight, please compute the values utilizing the actual ingredients in your recipe through your chosen nutrition calculator or application.