The BEST Cream of chicken tater tot casserole EVER! Get the full recipe and learn how to make creamy, cheesy and smooth tater tot casserole side dish!
Creamy Tater Tot Casserole
There are so many tater tot casserole recipes out there that you may have arrived at this one and its exactly what you want or not quite what you were thinking. This recipe with a layer of tater tots, creamy soup, delicious sour cream, and topped with fried onions, is a great side dish to feed a hungry family or as a seasonal potluck idea.
✔ Crunchy ✔ Creamy ✔ Side Dish
Completely scoopable with a bit serving spoon, tater tot casserole travels easily in a baking dish with foil on top and provides a filling, cheesy potato side that goes with just about any main meal you are looking for. Because there is no inherently strong spices, this dish is a traditional, classic and basic meal that kids tend to eat up and can be spiced up with veggie toppings for the adults – making it versatile as well.
- 1 package, 32 oz, tater tots, frozen
- 1 container, 16 oz, sour cream
- 1 can, 10.5 oz, cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup, shredded cheese
- 1 package, 6 oz, French fried onions
- chopped fresh tomatoes
- chopped fresh parsley
RELATED RECIPES: Looking for more ways to use tater tots? One of my favorite recipes of all time is this Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole, a take on traditional sausage hash brown casserole but with tater tots as the bottom layer! If you are looking for a more robust recipe for dinner, try chicken tater tot casserole, an easy to make recipe with canned chicken.
Tater Tot Casserole Recipe Alterations
- Alternatives for French Fried Onions – There is no doubt that French Fried onions make a fabulous flavor filled topping that gives the right amount of crunch to a casserole dish. But don’t let not having them on hand deter you from making this recipe. Crunched up Lays potato chips, crushed croutons, or believe it or not, Rice Krispy cereal also makes a great topping for this and other casserole dishes when you want some crunch.
- Easy toppings to serve up on tater tot casserole – The simple taste of using cream of chicken soup and sour cream make this casserole just beg for toppings. Try adding some diced tomatoes, pieces of avocado, and pretty green parsley to dress it up and add some additional value.
- Additions to cream of chicken soup – As a side dish, I like to keep things simple and delicious, so there is really only the creamy and cheesy version here. However, bits of freshly cut white diced onions tastes great in this dish.
- Cowboy Casserole – To turn this tater tot casserole into a full dinner, add a pound of cooked ground beef and substitute cream of chicken for cream of mushroom.
- Is this recipe the same thing as Funeral Potatoes? It has very similar ingredients but “funeral potatoes” typically use hash browns as the base and cornflakes as the top layer.
- Want additional seasonings? Try a bit of garlic powder or onion powder, freshly cracked pepper and sea salt.
How to make the Best Tater Tot Casserole Side Dish
Step by step instructions on how to make tater tot casserole below
Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9×13 pan.
Place frozen tater tots on the bottom of the pan in one layer (or as much as possible, a little overlapping won’t change the recipe) and set baking dish aside.
In a mixing bowl, add sour cream, cream of chicken soup and cheese.
Mix all ingredients well.
Spread the cream of chicken soup and sour cream mixture on top of the layer of tater tots.
Generously top the whole thing with French fried onions (or one of the alternative toppings listed).
Bake tater tot casserole for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly on the edges and warmed through.
Remove from oven and top with chopped fresh tomatoes and parsley before serving as a side dish to your favorite meal.
Need some other great casserole side dishes to serve up? You can find a variety of casserole recipes here, but here are a few of my favorites: Check out green bean casserole with FRESH green beans, low carb riced cauliflower casserole, twice baked potato casserole with bacon, dreamy zucchini and tomato casserole and Ritz cracker chicken casserole (a family meal!). If you are reading this recipe in the fall, a few seasonal favorites for your holiday menus are traditional green bean casserole from scratch and traditional sweet corn casserole. Yum!
As always, thank you for visiting our site and sharing a meal with us! If you made this recipe and have feedback, changes that were amazing or simply have a question, we do read and respond to all comments. We also love when you let us know how you altered the recipe and made it even better!
Cream of Chicken Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 package - 32 oz., tater tots, frozen
- 1 container - 16 oz., sour cream
- 1 can - 10.5 oz., cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup - shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 package - 6 oz., French fried onions
- chopped fresh tomatoes
- chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 pan.
- Place frozen tater tots on the bottom of the pan with minimal to no overlap and set baking dish aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add sour cream, cream of chicken soup and shredded cheddar cheese. Mix all ingredients together well.
- Spread soup mixture on top of tater tots and top with French fried onions.
- Bake tater tot casserole for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly and hot on the edges.
- Remove tater tot casserole from oven and top with chopped fresh tomatoes and parsley before serving.