Frog eye salad is a perfect summer side dish to feed a crowd. Light and flavorful, this dessert dish is full of of pasta, pudding, and crushed fruits, making it not only a classic, but so easy to serve up at a BBQ or get together. The only problem with this recipe isn’t how you make it, but how you stop eating it once its made!
With summer holidays coming up like 4th of July and Fathers Day, get together’s are getting ready to be in full swing. That means tons of party food, large salads and side dishes for a crowd and desserts aplenty. If you are looking for a side dish that can feed the whole table and then some, this frog eye salad is a perfect way to make a ton and have left overs to boot.
People ask how much it makes? Well that always depends on how much you eat, but you can safely feed 1000.
Its probably closer to 20, but you can still feed quite a bit! If you have never had frog eye salad, its light with a tapioca-like consistency and pasta. It doesn’t take too long to make, the longest party being boiling the pasta, and is a complimentary dish for grilling.
Oh and I did want to mention that KIDS LOVE FROG EYE SALAD!
Frog Eye Salad Recipe
What is Frog Eye Salad??
Frog eye salad is a lovely combination of pasta, pudding, and crushed fruits, making it a perfect lightly sweet summer side dish. Also called a Acini Di Pepe Pasta Salad, its a super classic and homemade dessert side dish that keeps the spoonfuls coming.
- 1 package, 3.4 oz, instant vanilla pudding
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cans, 15 oz, mandarin oranges
- 1 can, 20 oz, pineapple tidbits
- 1 can, 20 oz, crushed pineapple
- 2 cups water
- 1 package, 8 oz, acini di pepe pasta, uncooked
- 1 container, 8 oz, whipped topping, thawed
- 2 cups mini marshmallows (You can use colored ones if you want)
Side Dishes to Feed a Crowd
Need more side dish recipe options this summer season? Try one of my favorites like Hawaiian Cheesecake Salad, Vegetarian Pasta Salad, or Pea Salad. Plus Peanut Butter fudge is the perfect EASY dessert to grab and go!
Easy Frog Eye Salad
Refrigerate your pudding mixture for at least five minutes so it can firm up a bit.
Drain your mandarin oranges, pineapple tidbits and crushed pineapple (just the loose juice) into a pan.
Add 2 cups water.
Bring to a boil and stir in Acini Di Pepe Pasta.
What is Acini Di Pepe Pasta?
This type of pasta is also used in Italian Wedding Soup and is a small ball of dough that is often referred to as a grape or peppercorn shape.
Heat your Acini Di Pepe Pasta according to package directions, which is between 8-10 minutes.
Once the pasta is fully cooked, drain.
Note: I had to put a coffee filter into my colander so the pasta didn’t’ fall through the holes. A fine mesh strainer would work best.
Now add your drained oranges, pineapple and pasta to a mixing bowl.
Stir in the chilled pudding and whipped topping.
Fold in your mini marshmallows.
Refrigerate the Frog Eye Salad for 4 hours before serving so it can firm up and thicken.
Optional: Add Shaved Coconut prior to serving
Frog Eye Salad
- 1 package 3.4 oz, instant vanilla pudding
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cans 15 oz, mandarin oranges
- 1 can 20 oz, pineapple tidbits
- 1 can 20 oz, crushed pineapple
- 2 cups water
- 1 package 8 oz, acini di pepe pasta, uncooked
- 1 container 8 oz, whipped topping, thawed
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Mix 2 cups milk and 1 package pudding together and whisk well. Refrigerate for at least five minutes.
- Drain oranges, tidbits and crushed pineapple (as best as you can for the crushed pineapplinto a large saucepan. Add 2 cups water. Bring to a boil and stir in pasta. Heat according to package directions (about 10 minutes).
- When pasta is done, drain and rinse with cold water.
- Note: I had to put a coffee filter into my colander so the pasta didn't' fall through the holes. A fine mesh strainer would work best.
- Add oranges, pineapple and pasta to a large mixing bowl. Stir in pudding and whipped topping.
- Fold in marshmallows. Refrigerate for 4 hours before serving. Mixture will thicken up a bit.
- Serves 1,000!