Red White and Blue Jell-O Shots are the perfect layered jello shots to spice up your holiday themed 4th of July party this year. Incredible popular at get togethers and visually stunning, your guests will enjoy every delicious layer in this adult dessert that does everything right! Stunning for summer cook outs, BBQs and parties all summer long, these colorful layers are sure to to be the biggest hit at the party!
Its summer time and that means cool refreshing summer drinks, holiday picnics with delicious salads, dips by the pool, and lots of party food! There is no doubt these Fourth of July layered Jell-O shots are mind blowing beautiful and worth the time to make. They look stunning on a party table, yep, right next to the perfect pasta side dishes and are are delicious as well.
Why this Recipe Works
Super Patriotic and FUN: Kids get so much of the fun out there and these little spirited red, white, and blue shots are a perfect way to host and serve up some excitement this season for the adults. They look splashy and while take some time to set between layers, are worth the effort. If you are doing a full themed out party and do need some kid friendly bites, try red, white and blue strawberries or this patriotic poke cake.
Variations work: Change up the colors for seasons, parties, and other holidays quite easily. This recipe is versatile and works even without the striped colors.
These layered jello shots are easy to make but can be time consuming due to the layers having to be filled. Also, if you have time, set the shot glasses out and on the counter for about 15 minutes after filling each layer. The jello will set up enough so you feel comfortable moving them to the refrigerator.
Then refrigerate until completely firm.
- boxed cherry jello – I have found that Cherry gives the perfect red for a shot, but if you do not love cherry, there are other pink/red flavors that would work just fine for the red
- boxed berry blue jello (Jell-O Berry Blue Instant Gelatin Mix)
- sweetened condensed milk
- box of unflavored gelatin
- maraschino cherries for topping
Serving: I serve mine with teeny little spoons I grab at the Dollar Tree.
Easy Clean up: These are 2 ounce shot glasses and if you want to serve with no clean up, get disposable shot glasses.
Perfect layers require patience: Set the shot glasses out and on the counter for about 15 minutes after filling each layer. The jello will set up enough so you feel comfortable moving them to the refrigerator. Then refrigerate until completely firm.
How to make Layered Jello Shots
- Clear a space out of your refrigerator to fit a 9×13 baking pan. Place shot glasses on a flat surface. In a bowl or measuring cup with a spout, add 1 cup of boiling water. Stir in one small package of blue jello. Mix well until dissolved completely.
- Stir in 3/4 cup vodka and 1/4 cup cold water.
- Pour a small amount into a shot glass, filling 1/3 of the way. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm. While 1 hour may be fine for my shot glasses, you may need less time or longer time. Please make sure to firm before going onto the next layer.
- In a measuring cup with a spout, add 1/2 cup cold water and 2 packages of unflavored gelatin. Let sit for 5 minutes until the mixture is thick.
- Stir in 1 cup of boiling water and mix until dissolved.
- Stir in sweetened condensed milk and 1/2 cup vodka. If the mixture is still hot, wait till it’s cooled to pour the next layer.
- Pour the mixture on top of the blue layer until 2/3 full.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- For the red layer, repeat the directions from the blue layer.
- Adding a cherry on top and then filling the glasses. Let set for 2 hours to firm up.
Makes 30-36 shots.
Christmas – green and red layers
Valentines Day – Ombre of red to lighter pink
Halloween – candy corn layers or orange and black
Rainbow – this would take some time, but red, yellow, orange, green, and blue.
Strawberries, blueberries, whipped cream or chocolate shavings all make fun toppings
Yes, absolutely. Vodka or flavored vodkas are the most common as they typically still allow the colors, or in this case red, white and blue, be the same. You can easily use other clear spirits and may like rum, tequila, brandy and whiskey all come in clear.
This is going to boil down to some math on how strong the drink is and how big of a shot you end up using. Its typically that as few as 2 or as many as 4 will equal a drink. Its very easy to throw back quite a few Jell-O shots and then end up with more than you realize. Just be mindful that it contains liquor and drink responsibly.
Gelatin does not freeze itself, so while it may seem like a good idea, in the end you may end up messing up the shot.
Jell-O is the correct brand name but people use them interchangeable, quite like “Kleenex”.
The gelatin may not set if you over pour alcohol. Plus, contrary to belief, they can taste awful if not done right.
Connect with Us!