Adorable Mummy Stuffed Mushrooms, cream cheese stuffed appetizer wrapped in crescent roll “mummy wrapping” with peeping eyes. Done in 15 min!
If you’re like me and can’t wait to get into the spooky Halloween spirit, I have the cutest party appetizer that I’m SOOO excited to share with you: Halloween Mushrooms! These stuffed mushrooms are easy, cheesy, delicious, and, best of all, adorable!
This recipe is a Halloween remake of our highly rated recipe for stuffed mushrooms. We already know these are tested and loved, but now you can eat them in seasonal Halloween flair!
Why you will love this Halloween Recipe
Premade crescent rolls are not just melt-in-your-mouth buttery, but they are effortless to work with. In fact, this whole recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes.
The stuffing for yummy Mummy Mushrooms is made on the stove with garlic, cheeses, mushroom stems, and spices. After stuffing, the mushrooms are wrapped with thin strips of crescent roll dough and baked to golden perfection.
Add your candy eyes, and your Halloween Stuffed Mushrooms are ready for the spotlight! Mummy mushrooms are a go-to for Halloween parties, office treats, or for those hungry trick-or-treating parents.
After all, why should the kids have all the fun?!
To prepare Halloween Stuffed Mushrooms, you’ll want to unearth the following ingredients:
- 12 whole fresh mushrooms: baby Bella mushrooms work great as they are one of the larger mushrooms. White button mushrooms and wild mushrooms tend to be smaller so just make sure you pick mushroom caps that have the ability to be be stuffed.
- garlic: minced works way better than garlic powder or cloves garlic and provides the best flavor.
- cream cheese – This is part of the overall cheese mixture that makes stuffed mushrooms so creamy.
- parmesan cheese: grated or shredded
- spices: onion powder, cayenne pepper, and salt
- crescent roll dough: I like Bake House Creations or Pillsbury
- candy eyes: I like using Wilton candy eyeballs, size 0.88 oz.
How to make Halloween Stuffed Mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with foil. Grease a baking sheet with non stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Break off stems of mushrooms and save.
- Add butter and garlic to a skillet. Dice mushroom stems and add to skillet. Cook over medium heat until mushrooms begin to soften. Add cream cheese, Parmesan cheese and spices and reduce heat to low. Continue to cook and mix until cheese is melted.
- Use a spoon to fill the mushrooms. Press filing into the center, making sure not to overfill. Place top side down onto prepared baking sheet.
- Cut crescent rolls into 1/8″ strips with a pizza cutter.
- Wrap the strips around the mushroom leaving a little space for the eyes. Overlap and create a mummy look.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes or until crescent begins to turn golden brown.
- Remove from oven. Top with eyes and serve warm.
Expert Tips and Recipe Variations
- Use a small brush to clean your mushrooms rather than soaking them in water. If you do use water to clean them, dry mushrooms thoroughly before stuffing and baking.
- Add sautéed spinach, minced shallots or onions, bread crumbs, or even crumbled bacon to your stuffing mix.
- Make it vegan: Hard as it is to believe, Pillsbury Crescent Roll Dough is actually vegan! So, adapting the stuffing is the only variation that needs to be made. Use a combination of vegan cheeses, bread crumbs, spinach, and finely chopped walnuts to make your stuffing. Prepare with garlic and other spices and cook as per the original recipe.
- Mushrooms are delicate, so when spooning in the mixture be gentle and don’t overfill or press too hard!
- Wait a few minutes for Mummy Mushrooms to cool before adding the candy eyes.
When wrapping your mummies, keep your wraps spaced fairly tight, but make sure to leave a gap for the eyes! You can typically get candy eyeballs in many shapes and colors to really bring some fun expressions to Halloween Appetizers.
Here are the eyes on amazon so you can see what they look like and order in time for your Halloween party recipes.
What types of mushrooms work best for stuffing?
I suggest using baby Bella mushrooms, but other types such as white button and cremini would be great, too! You could even make this recipe using Portobello mushrooms, in which case the stuffing should be doubled or even tripled (and your mummies will be BIG).
Can Mummy Mushrooms be premade?
Mummy mushrooms taste best straight out of the oven, as the crescent rolls don’t do well being stored in the fridge after they’ve been cooked. The stuffing can be made ahead of time (stored in the fridge in an airtight container), and the crescent roll dough can be cut into strips and kept refrigerated. Assemble and bake just before serving.
Can you freeze Mummy Mushrooms?
You can stuff mushrooms and freeze them, then thaw and add the crescent roll dough before baking.
Can Mummy Mushrooms be made Keto-friendly?
If you want a Keto-friendly recipe, skip the crescent roll dough and instead use mozzarella string cheese to wrap up your mushrooms. Decrease bake time to 10 minutes.
If you want more inspired ideas for the perfect Halloween party, check out these other recipes:
- ghost strawberries
- mozzarella eyeballs
- fall popcorn balls
- pumpkin fluff dip
- mummy hot dogs
- sherbet party punch
Connect with Us!
Halloween Mushrooms (Mummy Stuffed Mushrooms)
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with foil. Grease a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Break off stems of mushrooms and save.
- Add butter and garlic to a skillet.
- Dice mushroom stems and add to skillet. Cook over medium heat until mushrooms begin to soften.
- Add cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, and spices and reduce heat to low. Continue to cook and mix until cheese is melted.
- Use a spoon to fill the mushrooms. Press filling into the center, making sure not to overfill. Place top side down onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Cut crescent rolls into 1/8" strips with a pizza cutter. Wrap the strips around the mushroom leaving a little space for the eyes. Overlap and create a mummy look.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes or until the crescent strips begin to turn golden brown. Remove from oven. Top with eyes and serve warm.