Hashbrown Casserole with Ham is full of cheese and a delicious creamy potato base. Perfect for breakfast, you will love how many this easy to make casserole serves and everyone will enjoy every bite in the morning!
Hashbrown Casserole with Ham
This hashbrown casserole with ham makes a perfect breakfast!
Great to make on holiday mornings (or after a holiday with left over ham pieces!) this breakfast casserole is simply a base of hash brown potatoes, creamy potato soup and sour cream, with melty hot cheese and diced up ham.
Scroll to the bottom for a printable version of this post, including all measurements and instructions, so you can follow along in your kitchen without being on your phone.
Here is what you need to gather to get started:
- frozen hash browns
- condensed cream of potato soup
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
RELATED RECIPES: Amish Breakfast Casserole, Sausage Hash Brown Casserole, Biscuits and Gravy Casserole, Cinnamon Apple Breakfast Bake, Strawberry French Toast Casserole, Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole,
Substituting Cream of Potato Soup
This recipe is really forgiving. While it will change up the flavor, you can substitute cream of potato with cream of chicken or cream of cheddar soup in a pinch.
Where is the Ham?
Ham and Hash brown casserole is great when you have left over ham, but what if you don’t? No problem at all!
You can buy diced ham in the prepackaged meat area (by the turkey, etc) that you can use for this casserole.
You can also buy chunks of ham typically in the meat departments, all pre-cooked.
Will the Hash Browns Crisp up?
No, the bottom base of hash browns act as potatoes and are not the same as skillet fried hash browns, which crisp up in oil.
Ham & Hashbrown Casserole
Preheat oven to 375 and grease a 2.5 quart casserole dish (typically a 13 x 9 pan) with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, add frozen hash browns, diced ham, soup, sour cream and 1 cup cheddar cheese.
Mix well to evenly coat everything in the bowl.
Pour hashbrowns into prepared pan and spread evenly.
Top your potatoes with remaining shredded cheese (because you can never have too much cheese)
Bake ham and hash brown casserole, uncovered, for 45-55 minutes or until center is hot and cheese is melted.
Serve immediately while still hot.
Can you prep Ham and Hash brown Casserole the night before?
You can, but its best to fully defrost your hash browns to eliminate any extra water in the mixture. Drain any excess and then proceed in preparation as normal.
Keep casserole dish covered and cold.
One thing I really took advantage of this year was breakfast casseroles.
They can be salty with lots of cheese or sweet (like my French Toast Casserole) and take no time at all to make.
But what I really love are filling hearty casseroles and hash browns are SO good as a perfect base to keep you full all morning long!
I also use hashbrowns in my two other super popular breakfast recipes that you should check out!
The morning doesn’t always have to be about casseroles!
You can serve with one of these other breakfast recipe ideas:
- Roasted Breakfast Potatoes – Roasted Breakfast Potatoes with garlic and chili powder are a delicious way to wake up! Done in the oven in under 30 minutes
- Cinnamon Southern Fried Apples – Cinnamon Southern Fried Apples with pecans, a delicious savory and sweet side dish that can also be served for breakfast. Coated in delicious brown sugar and pecans, every bite is perfection!
- Skillet Breakfast Potatoes – Often referred to as “home fries” you can skillet fry up your potatoes right in a skillet and they are a crowd favorite.
- 1 package (16 oz, frozen hash browns - keeping them frozen is fine
- 1 cup ham (diced)
- 1 can (10.75 oz, condensed cream of potato soup)
- 1 container (8 oz, sour cream)
- 1 cup (plus a bit extra for topping/shredded cheddar cheese)
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease a 2.5 quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add hash browns, ham, soup, sour cream and 1 cup cheddar cheese.
- Mix well to evenly coat.
- Pour into prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 45-55 minutes or until center is hot and cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
Please see article about prepping this breakfast casserole ahead
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 23Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 164mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 4g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.