Move over classic cheese ball and make room for peanut butter and chocolate chips! This fabulous party snack looks stunning, tastes divine, and is perfect as a seasonal holiday recipe.
Great to serve with pretzels, cookies, or even cut apple slices, this peanut butter cheese ball recipe is a potluck favorite.
Why you should make a Cheese Ball
A Fancy Dip – Cheeseballs are simply fancy dips. Unlike a simple peanut butter apple dip recipe shoved in a bowl or a 5-minute chocolate chip dip that piles up high, peanut butter cheeseball dip has a gorgeous display and looks fancy. And we all like a little bougie when we are bringing a recipe to a party.
Fun Variations – The peanut butter cream cheese base makes this recipe simple to turn into Reese’s Peanut Butter Ball. Use Reese’s special peanut butter and add crushed peanut butter cups over mini chocolate chips.
- Cream cheese – To work well with cream cheese, it should be softened before the recipe. Open up the box and foil and let it sit on the counter for 15-20 minutes before starting.
- Butter – Same as cream cheese, it needs to be softened (but not melted!!).
- Creamy peanut butter – We do not recommend crunchy peanut butter in a traditional classic cheeseball.
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Chocolate chips – See the list below for other suggestions, other than mini chocolate chips, to decorate the outer layer of a cheeseball.
How to make Peanut Butter Cheese Ball Dip
- Add cream cheese, 1 cup peanut butter, butter, and vanilla to a mixing bowl and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes. An electric mixture or stand mixer should work fine if the cream cheese and butter are softened. Use a spatula to remove the excess mix from beaters as needed.
- Add powdered sugar and beat until combined. Fold in 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips.
- Shape the peanut butter mixture into a ball and place it onto a piece of plastic wrap. Wrap into a ball and secure tightly. Refrigerate for four hours or overnight.
- Place mini chocolate chips in a thick but single layer on a plate.
- Remove the plastic wrap and press the cheeseball into the chips. Add more chocolate chips to the plate and flip the cheeseball over and press chocolate chips into all sides of the ball.
- Place cheeseball on a serving plate.
- Add two tablespoons of peanut butter to a resealable sandwich bag but do not seal—microwave at 50% power for 15 seconds.
- Knead and, if necessary, return to the microwave for another heat cycle until peanut butter is soft and can be drizzled. Seal the bag, snip the tip, and drizzle peanut butter over the cheeseball.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Let any refrigerated cheeseball stand 15-20 minutes at room temperature to soften before serving.
Decorating Peanut Butter Cheeseball
Traditionally, as we did in the chocolate chip cream cheese ball recipe, we use mini chocolate chips and a drizzle of melted peanut butter. These chocolate chips are also used to decorate the plate in addition to the peanut butter ball.
You can also use other chips like peanut butter chips or white chocolate chips to vary color and flavor.
Lastly, try honey peanuts, crushed cashews, or go with smashed peanut butter cups or graham cracker crumbs as the fancy outer layer.
Soften Before Serving
Remember that cream cheese and peanut butter both harden in the fridge.
If making to bring it somewhere or storing any leftovers, remove them from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before eating for a creamy soft peanut butter ball.
Serve Creamy Peanut Butter Ball With
- Graham crackers
- Nilla wafers
- Mini Carrots
- Apple Slices
- Teddy Grahams
Related Dip Recipes
As a side dish recipe website, we have a massive variety of insanely good dip recipes. Here are some of our favorites if you are planning a party!
- This 5-minute Booty Dip recipe that my kids discovered on TikTok has quickly become our go-to to bring to parties. We make this dip at least five times a year.
- One of the newer dip recipes on Salty Side Dish, this tiramisu dip recipe is a fresh take on a classic Italian dessert.
- You will love dipping into no-bake cappuccino dip if you love coffee recipes.
- Are you looking for something savory over sweet? Try an addictive and incredibly popular cucumber dip recipe, a holiday-friendly 5-star cranberry cream cheese dip recipe, or this widely delicious tiktok queso dip recipe.
Connect with Us!