You can easily make a healthy apple dip with ingredients you likely have in your home.
All it takes is plain Greek Yogurt, creamy peanut butter and honey with just a few pantry spices and bam! This simple dip contains no brown sugar, no powdered sugar and no cream cheese, but is the perfect balance of “not too sweet” dip that pairs with fresh apple slices.
I often find myself looking for a healthy bite to eat, and almost inevitably I end up sitting down with good ‘ole apple slices and a jar of peanut butter. While there is certainly nothing wrong with my habitual snack routine, it does get a bit boring.
Then I came upon this AMAZING cream-cheese free Peanut Butter Apple Dip as a viral TikTok Recipe. While it really was everywhere, we saw it from @MissAbbeyEats, where she claims she lost over 100 pounds by eating healthy snacks like this dip.
The best part is that this recipe is so easy to throw together!
Creamy Greek yogurt, protein-packed peanut butter, a spoonful of sweet honey and a dash of cinnamon all blend together to garnish your favorite variety of crisp, juicy apple slices.
Even better, you can adapt this recipe in SOOO many ways! Swap the honey for melted chocolate, caramel, or even maple syrup. Try a flavored yogurt such as honey vanilla, or coconut.
I love pulling this dip out of the fridge so it’s nice and cold when I dip my apples in it. It’s healthy, and it’s incredibly delicious!
How can I keep sliced apples from turning brown?
Apples will start to turn brown as soon as their flesh is exposed to oxygen. There are a few methods you can use to keep your sliced apples looking and tasting fresh.
- Lemons: Citric acid works to fight the oxidation process that causes apple slices to turn brown. You can either cut a lemon into a wedge and rub each exposed apple slice, or soak your sliced apples in 1 cup of water with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice for 3 minutes. This also works using limes, oranges, and pineapples, but lemons impart the least flavor to the apples.
- Salt: Make a brine by combining ⅛ teaspoon of salt and 1 cup water, and stir to dissolve. Soak apple slices for at least 30 seconds, then rinse them in fresh water to remove excess saltiness.
- Honey: Mix 2 tablespoons of honey in 1 cup of water and soak apple slices for 30 seconds.
- Fruit Fresh: Using a product called Fruit Fresh is another method of keeping your apples slices from oxidizing. It’s a powdered citric acid and can be found at grocery stores. Sprinkle it in a zip lock bag and add your slices, then shake to coat.
Whatever method you choose, place treated apple slices in a plastic bag or container where they will be exposed to the least amount of oxygen, and refrigerate until use.
Looking for some other fun dip ideas that would taste great with apples?
If you are looking to branch out (wink wink), try some of my other FAVORITE dips for apples and other fruit:
- Marshmallow Fruit Dip
- Cream Cheese, vanilla, brown sugar dip
- Pumpkin Fluff Dip
- Cheddar Cheese Port Wine Dip-For adults-dippers only!
- Ricotta cheese and Jam dip
- Marshmallow Fluff Christmas Dip
- S’mores Dip
- Funfetti Dip
See more Viral TikTok Recipes here and more Dip Recipes Here.
This TikTok Peanut Butter Apple Dip is pretty scrumptious as is, but adding chocolate is never a bad idea! Melt ⅛ cup chocolate chips on the stovetop on low, stirring often.
Remember to work slowly or you will end up with a mess of burned, unusable chocolate!
Allow the chocolate to cool slightly, then mix with the yogurt. If using chocolate you can omit the cinnamon and instead use a dash of vanilla.
Alternatively, mix ⅛ cup Nutella or other hazelnut chocolate spread into the yogurt.
If you want to get creative with your dips, this Healthy Apple Dip is a great place to start. Here are a few tweaks to the base recipe that make snacking all the tastier!
- Substitute maple syrup for the honey for a change in flavor that will taste like fall!
- Use almond, cashew or other nut butters in place of peanut butter. If allergies are a concern, try using sunflower seed butter or coconut butter.
- Add caramel in place of the honey for a sweeter dip.
- Try a flavored yogurt- my favorite is Greek Gods Honey Vanilla, which I find to be sweet enough to omit the honey altogether. Strawberry, vanilla, and coconut taste great too.
- Try different spices instead of cinnamon: nutmeg, ginger, and vanilla will all taste amazing in this dip!
- Ditch the peanut butter altogether and try this dip with ⅜ cup canned or fresh pumpkin puree. Heat the pumpkin on the stove until fragrant, about 3 minutes, then allow to cool slightly before mixing it with yogurt, honey, and cinnamon. If desired, use pumpkin pie spice mix
Delicious Dipping Choices
If you are looking for a fun way to spice up your snacking, try this delicious and healthy Peanut Butter Apple Dip, which is great for an after school snack or a dip for party snacks.
Don’t think that Peanut Butter Dip has to be used exclusively on apples! There are so many things that taste amazing with this dip:
- Graham crackers- Chocolate or Cinnamon are my favorites
- Cookies- Nilla Wafers, Pecan Sandie’s, or even shortbread cookies
- Pretzel sticks
- Celery or Carrots
- Banana Slices
- Strawberries or melons
How long can I store apple dip in the fridge?
If you’re like me and you make a double batch, chances are you might be storing this for snacking again tomorrow. This Peanut Butter Dip will keep well in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Leave A Reply!