Slow Cooker Gouda Hash Browns, easy cheesy potatoes with provolone and gouda, are made even easier by placing all ingredients in a slow cooker, setting, and forgetting!
When slow-cooked potatoes are served, they are for a holiday or potluck. If you are looking for the perfect potluck potato, this is it!
Why you will love making Gouda Hash Browns
Second to only funeral potatoes (can’t beat that topping), these slow-cooked cheesy potatoes are full of flavor. And while this simple potato side is simple to make, adding fresh chives and bacon makes this side dish taste anything but.
If you are a potato lover, this one is for you!
Unlike our slow cooker cheesy potatoes, this potato side dish does not use Velveeta. Rich smoky gouda and provolone make this dish unique and able to produce an incredible “cheese pull” that delights everyone when taking a scoop!
This recipe is absolutely the perfect slow cooker potluck recipe!
Alongside gouda cheese, this crockpot potluck side dish also includes a full block of cream cheese for a smooth taste!
- Potatoes – use diced hash brown potatoes for even round cooking without any peeling and slicing work! A huge 28 oz. of diced hash browns that already have onions and peppers add some color and lots of flavors.
- Canned Soup – Can of condensed cream of chicken soup or cream of chicken with herbs.
- Gouda – 8 oz. package of sliced gouda cheese. Stack and chop down into bite-sized pieces for easy melt. Shredded cheese can also be used, usually 2 cups of shredded Gouda.
- Provolone – 8 oz. package of Provolone cheese slices. Stack and chop down to bite size pieces. Shredded provolone can be used, which is equal to about 2 cups.
- Seasonings – Fresh herbs not only provide color but flavor as well! Green onions, fresh chives, salt, and black pepper.
- Milk – This for part of the cheesy goodness of this dish. Heavy whipping cream can be substituted.
How to Slow Cook the Ultimate Gouda Hash Browns
- In at least a 4 quart slow cooker (but I like a larger one like 6-8 quarts to make stirring easy), combine frozen diced hash brown potatoes, cheese, cream cheese, milk, green onions, salt and pepper, and cream of chicken soup.
- Stir to combine and turn the slow cooker on LOW for 4-5 hours, occasionally stirring to mix up the cheese.
- Prior to serving, add a bit of cooked crunchy bacon and fresh chives for color.
- Like all potatoes, this dish is great for indulgent holidays and just flawless for a potluck or picnic. Because it’s cooked in a slow cooker, make sure you have an outlet available for the crock pot, or the cheese will slowly stiffen back up from its gooey state.
- Because of the huge bag of hash browns, this dish also serves quite a few, about 12-14, as a side dish.
The full recipe, measurements, and instructions are in the free printable download at the bottom of the post.
Are Slow Cooker Gouda Potatoes Keto?
If the nutritional value is of importance to you, it’s important to note that pretty much all potatoes (yes, even sweet potatoes) are not keto-friendly. Potatoes are starchy and not considered a no-carb or low-carb vegetable.
- Cheese – Yes, Cheese is Keto.
- Cream of Chicken – Typically no.
- Hash Browns – Absolutely not. Sorry! If you want a keto-friendly side dish, try keto broccoli slaw or a potato substitute like loaded cauliflower rice.
- Bacon – Yes, bacon can be eaten on a Keto diet.
- Cream Cheese – Yes, cream cheese is Keto.
- Milk or Heavy Whipping Cream – Milk can include too many carbs, and most opt for heavy whipping cream instead for Keto needs.
More Easy Potato Side Dishes
If you are a huge fan of potatoes (like I am!), here are a few more potato side dishes to dive into! Potatoes are probably one of the most served side dishes ever and make appearances in nearly every get-together and family dinner weekly.
While I do have a love for boxed mashed potatoes, there are many other ways to enjoy the potato – from mini reds and blush potatoes to creamer and Russets.
- Creamer Potatoes
- Skillet Potatoes and Onions
- Cheesy Funeral Potatoes
- Fouchy Potatoes
- Herb Roasted Parmesan Potatoes
- Smashed Red Potatoes
Connect with Us!