Easy crock pot cheesy potatoes are a perfect no fuss, reader loved, and family favorite side dish that is a perfect choice for a holiday menu. Delicious, creamy, and totally the best recipe, its so simple to bring a side dish to your next potluck that will leave you with nothing but an empty pot to take home.
Perfect Holiday Side Dish Recipe
With the holidays upon us, its not long before everyone is thinking about that family friendly menu, appetizers, desserts, and side dishes, ohmy!
My own mother in law and I were just talking this weekend about whose house we were going to have the holiday at and beginning to divide who would make what. Holiday meals are fun like that – you get little tastes of everyone’s cooking!
The one thing that does make holiday cooking hard is trying to cover all your bases with just one oven.
That means I rely heavily on tons of slow cookers hooked up handling slow cooked vegetables, slow cooked desserts, and in this case, one of the best slow cooked side dishes EVER! Fix it, forget it, and then simply enjoy it! No matter whether its Thanksgiving or Christmas, Easter or Mothers Day, a slow cooker side dish is worth its weight in gold.
Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes with Velveeta
These no fail cheesy slow cooker potatoes are so creamy and so delicious that you will swear they are macaroni and cheese.
The potatoes are just smooth and perfect and because its in a crock pot, you can easily throw it, forget about it and serve it with almost no work at all!
- 1 package, 32 oz, frozen diced potatoes, keep frozen -my package says “Southern Style Hash Browns“
- 1 can, 10.75 oz, cream of potato soup -you can substitute with cream of chicken
- 1-1/4 cup milk (or a soup can full)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup, 4 tablespoons, butter, melted
- 16 ounces Velveeta Cheese, cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
The potato package says it serves 11, so I say this serves about 12, but of course that always depends on how big of scoops you take and this is a “go for seconds” meal for sure!
Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes with Hash Browns Recipe
- Grease the slow cooker crockpot with nonstick cooking spray. I always like to spray the crock pot to help prevent cheese from really sticking to the sides.
- Add frozen potatoes. In this case, I use the diced ones but you could easily substitute this for the hash browns and make a cheesy hash brown if you prefer. I just like it better with the chunks of potatoes myself.
- Add soup.
- Fill empty can of soup with milk and add to crock.
- Mix everything really well.
- Stir in sour cream and butter.
- Add Velveeta cheese and spices and mix well.
Heat your cheesy potatoes on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours.
- When cooking on high, stir every hour for the first two hours.
- When cooking on low, stir every 2 hours for cheese to melt.
Cheesy Potato Recipe Questions
Can I use real raw potatoes? Yes! I love working with fresh potatoes – in fact, one of my favorite things to eat is homemade diced skillet potatoes! When working with real raw potatoes, you will first need to remove the skin and then dice down into very tiny chunks. If you leave your potatoes too large, it will change the cooking time or they will not cook evenly.
Can you oven bake these potatoes instead? Yes. Just like in simple ham hash brown casserole, add all ingredients, stir well, and put in oven on 375 for approx 45 minutes, stirring half way through.
Can I reheat cheesy potatoes? Yep! Just put in the microwave for 25-30 seconds at a time on high, stir, and continue until heated.
Can I use hash browns instead of diced potatoes? Absolutely. Cheesy hash browns of any kind are amazing. Because hash browns are more slender and take a lot less time to cook, your cheesy potatoes may take less time over all, so check on it.
Super Simple Slow Cooker Sides
- Slow Cooker Black Eyed Peas
- Slow Cooker Refried Beans
- Slow Cooker Cinnamon Carrots
- Slow Cooker Ham and Green Beans
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Corn
Best Crock Pots to Buy for Slow Cooker Recipes
If you do not have a crock-pot or enough crock pots for the upcoming cooking season, here are the ones I own
- Crockpot 8 quart – I have one of these crock pot 8 quart slow cookers. It has the warm, low, and high button. It basically just runs till you turn it off and is pretty basic
- Hamilton Beach Slow Cooker – I have this slow cooker which allows me to set the time from 2, 4, 6, 8, or 10 hours of cooking time and what level. This one is great if you have a dish that really only needs a few hours of cooking time and do not want it to overcook.
Print out the cheesy potatoes recipe to make it easy to make in your kitchen!