Easy crock pot cheesy potatoes are a perfect no fuss, reader loved, and family favorite side dish that is a perfect choice for a holiday menu. Delicious, creamy, and totally the best recipe, its so simple to bring a side dish to your next potluck that will leave you with nothing but an empty pot to take home.
With the holidays upon us, its not long before everyone is thinking about that fall Thanksgiving or Christmas menu, appetizers, desserts, and side dishes, ohmy! My own mother in law and I were just talking this weekend about whose house we were going to have the holiday at and beginning to divide who would make what. Holidays are fun like that – you get little tastes of everyone’s cooking!
The one thing that does make holiday cooking hard is trying to cover all your bases with just one oven. That means I rely heavily on tons of slow cookers hooked up handling slow cooked vegetables, slow cooked desserts, and in this case, one of the best slow cooked side dishes EVER!
These cheesy slow cooker potatoes are so creamy and so delicious that you will swear they are macaroni and cheese. The potatoes are just smooth and perfect and because its in a crock pot, you can easily throw it, forget about it and serve it with almost no work at all!
- 1 package, 32 oz, frozen diced potatoes, keep frozen -my package says “Southern Style Hash Browns”
- 1 can, 10.75 oz, cream of potato soup -you can substitute with cream of chicken
- 1-1/4 cup milk (or a soup can full)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup, 4 tablespoons, butter, melted
- 16 ounces Velveeta Cheese, cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
The potato package says it serves 11, so I say this serves about 12, but of course that always depends on how big of scoops you take and this is a “go for seconds” meal for sure!
Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes Recipe
Grease the slow cooker crockpot with nonstick cooking spray. I always like to spray the crockpot to help prevent cheese from really sticking to the sides.
Add frozen potatoes. In this case, I use the diced ones but you could easily substitute this for the hash browns and make a cheesy hash brown if you prefer. I just like it better with the chunks of potatoes myself.
Fill empty can of soup with milk and add to crock.
Mix everything really well.
Stir in sour cream and butter.
Add Velveeta cheese and spices and mix well.
Heat your cheesy potatoes on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours.
- When cooking on high, stir every hour for the first two hours.
- When cooking on low, stir every 2 hours for cheese to melt.
Serves 12 very happy people
Try these other Fail Proof Slow Cooker Sides
You will love this crockpot cheesy potatoes so much. Its a mix up from just serving mashed potatoes or potato salad and makes a perfect holiday side dish that is memorable. Although if you are someone that cant have potatoes this season and are just serving to others, you can make not only the crockpot cheesy potatoes but also make some (mock) cauliflower mashed potatoes in the oven as well.
Crockpots to Buy
If you do not have a crock-pot or enough crockpots for the upcoming cooking season, here are the ones I own
- Crockpot 8 quart – I have one of these crockpot 8 quart slow cookers. It has the warm, low, and high button. It basically just runs till you turn it off and is pretty basic
- Hamilton Beach Slow Cooker – I have this slow cooker which allows me to set the time from 2, 4, 6, 8, or 10 hours of cooking time and what level. This one is great if you have a dish that really only needs a few hours of cooking time and do not want it to overcook.
Print out the cheesy potatoes recipe to make it easy to make in your kitchen!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 12 people
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 338 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 56mg Sodium: 1248mg Carbohydrates: 31g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 5g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 12g