These easy Mexican chicken thighs have all of your favorite Tex-Mex flavors in one easy dish. This is a super easy and hassle-free dinner idea you’ll make regularly.
Mexican Chicken Thighs
These are good. When I was trying to come up with a title for them, I was thinking of Latin America. The cilantro and corn remind me of food from that region.
But after I made them I realized they weren’t “Latin” because I was thinking of the language Latin that they speak in Rome!
So to clear up the confusion I’ll just call them Mexican chicken thighs.
How to Make Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Thighs
This is the kind of slow cooker meal I enjoy. You literally put everything in and let it cook all day. That’s it. The thighs were juicy and delicious.
- chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2″ pieces
- black beans
- chicken broth
- salsa (mild, medium or hot)
- minced garlic
- chopped fresh cilantro
Spray the slow cooker crock with nonstick cooking spray or use a nonstick slow cooker bag (these are amazing, my mom uses them!)
Add chicken to crock and season with salt and pepper.
Top with sweet potatoes, beans and corn.
Add broth, salsa, cumin, garlic and allspice in a mixing bowl.
Mix together and pour over mixture in slow cooker.
Place the lid on the slow cooker and heat on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2-3.
Serve topped with chopped fresh cilantro and on a bed of cilantro lime rice.
How to Serve Mexican Chicken Thighs
You can easily just serve them right out of the slow cooker, with the sweet potatoes, beans, and corn on the side.
Some other recipe ideas include:
- Make slow cooker chicken tacos – put everything in a taco shell and top with some pico de gallo. Yum!
- Shredded Mexican chicken – If you use boneless chicken thighs, you can shred the chicken. If you use bone-in, you can still shred it, but it’s a lot more difficult and time-consuming.
How to Make It Spicy
If you like your meals to have a little kick to them, just add a few slices of jalapenos. That will really jazz it up with a lot of heat. You can also make sure you use salsa that has major kick!
How to Store it
I have a personal aversion to leftovers, so I try not to store things for very long. But you can shred the chicken and remove the bones. Then, you can reuse the chicken for another meal.
The sweet potatoes, beans, and corn will all last about a week in the refrigerator.
Can you make Mexican Chicken Thighs ahead of time?
This main dish dinner makes a simple freezer meal. Just put all the ingredients in a zippered freezer bag. You’ll need a gallon size for all 4 chicken thighs.
Put the recipe name and date on it.
Then when you are ready to cook it, let it thaw out the night before in the refrigerator.
Put all the ingredients in the slow cooker and it will be ready to cook.
Is this recipe Keto Friendly?
This is not a keto-friendly recipe. The sweet potatoes and the corn have too many carbs.
If you want to make Keto Mexican chicken thighs, you can just omit those veggies and focus on the chicken.
What type of chicken thighs do you use?
I used bone-in thighs, with skin attached. However, you can use skinless chicken, boneless chicken, or chicken breasts. All of them will taste amazing in it.
More Mexican Recipes
Mexican is one of my favorite types of food (isn’t it everyone’s??). Here are some more recipes my family and I love.
Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Thighs
- 4 chicken thighs
-I used bone in, with skin. You can use skinless, boneless, or breasts
- salt and pepper
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 can 15 oz, black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can 15 oz, corn, drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa mild, medium or hot
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Spray the slow cooker crock with nonstick cooking spray. Add chicken to crock and season with salt and pepper. Top with sweet potatoes, beans and corn.
- Add broth, salsa, cumin, garlic and allspice in a mixing bowl. Mix together and pour over mixture in slow cooker.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and heat on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2-Serve topped with chopped fresh cilantro.
- Serves 4