Discover 7-Up biscuits, a sensational trending side dish that has taken TikTok by storm!
Made from a handful of ingredients, this tender biscuit dough has an irresistible texture and is a great viral recipe.
Why You Will Love Making 7-Up Biscuits
There’s something magical about baking biscuits at home. It’s not just the delicious aroma that fills your kitchen or the satisfying crunch as you break one open.
Its also the incredible taste of soft, tender biscuits, almost cloud-like in their fluffy texture, with just a hint of sour cream and lemon-lime soda.
- butter melted
- baking mix (Bisquick or Jiffy)
- sour cream
- 7-Up soda
- all-purpose flour
How to make 7Up Biscuits
- Preheat the oven to 425 and pour melted butter into the bottom of a 10″ cast iron skillet. Set aside.
- Add baking mix and sour cream to a bowl. Cut the sour cream into the mixture using a pastry blender until combined well. Stir in 7-Up just until combined.
- Sprinkle dry flour onto a flat surface and place the dough on the flour. The dough will be sticky. Sprinkle flour on top of the sticky dough and pat it until it is at least 1 inch thick.
- Cut biscuits using a 3-inch biscuit cutter and place them into a prepared pan.
- Bake biscuits for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. I do suggest checking them at the 20-minute mark as some ovens cook a lot hotter than others.
- Makes 12–14 biscuits.
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Seven Up Biscuits
With a few tips and tricks, your 7-Up biscuits can come out as tender and fluffy as the ones you see on TikTok.
Handle the dough Gently: Overworking biscuit dough can lead to tough biscuits. Handle it as little as possible to keep your biscuits light and tender.
Cold Ingredients are Key: Ensure your butter and sour cream are cold before incorporating them into the dough for a fluffy texture. This helps create little steam pockets during baking, leading to fluffier biscuits.
Preheat Your Oven: Biscuits bake best in a hot oven, so make sure your oven reaches the correct temperature before baking.
This allows the biscuits to rise quickly and develop a golden, flaky crust.
Don’t Waste Leftovers: If you have leftover biscuits, store them in an airtight container. They can be warmed up in the oven or toaster for a quick breakfast or snack.
Alternatively, get creative and use them as the base for a unique bread pudding or breakfast sandwich.
We did test the video recipe below but had mixed results. Then we redid it and published a much better recipe for those struggling with the viral one not working.
While we love testing tiktok recipes, we always want to share the best way to recreate in your kitchen without wasting ingredients.
Our thoughts on 7 Up biscuits:
They are good. Dense and buttery. Remind me of the ones at KFC. Ensure your dough is at least 1″ thick before cutting it!
We used a cast iron pan to test the recipe and didn’t need an entire batch, so there are only 7 biscuits shown. You should get 12–14 buttery biscuits, so I’d recommend a 9×13 baking dish for the full recipe. Cast iron pans can make the bottom of the biscuits a lot more brown than a baking dish.
FAQ’s about 7-Up Biscuits.
What gives the 7-Up biscuits their unique fluffy texture?
The secret to the distinctive fluffy texture of these TikTok biscuits lies in the combination of lemon-lime soda and sour cream.
The carbonation from the soda helps the biscuit dough to rise, creating an airy, light texture, while the sour cream adds richness and moisture.
How does lemon-lime soda affect the taste of the biscuits?
Interestingly, the 7-Up in the biscuit recipe doesn’t make the biscuits taste like soda.
Instead, it subtly enhances the overall flavor profile of the biscuits and adds to their lightness and fluffiness.
While 7-Up is a popular choice for soda biscuits due to its lemon-lime flavor and carbonation, you can certainly experiment with other types of soda in your biscuit mix.
Here are a few alternatives:
- Sprite: Like 7-Up, Sprite is a lemon-lime soda that can add a similar flavor and texture to your biscuits.
- Ginger Ale: Ginger Ale could add an exciting flavor twist to your biscuits. The carbonation will still contribute to the fluffiness of the biscuits.
- Club Soda: Club soda is essentially carbonated water, and it won’t add any additional flavor to the biscuits, but it will provide the carbonation needed to help the dough rise.
Remember that each soda will bring a slightly different flavor to your biscuits, so feel free to experiment and find out which one you prefer.
What can I serve with 7-Up biscuits?
Tender biscuits are incredibly versatile. They make a delightful addition to any dinner, pairing well with stew or a soup recipe.
They’re also great for breakfast with some honey butter and jam, and fluffy biscuits are delicious as a standalone snack.
What can I do with leftover biscuits?
Leftover biscuits can be stored in an airtight container and enjoyed over the next few days. They can be warmed up in the oven or toaster for a warm, comforting treat.
Can I substitute the sour cream in biscuits made from scratch?
Sour cream is crucial for adding richness and moisture to the biscuits.
However, if you’re in a pinch, you can substitute it with plain Greek yogurt or buttermilk. The texture and flavor differ slightly with substitutions.
While we encourage people to test similar items, we cannot guarantee that the recipe will have the same results.