Banana Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting are an amazing homemade dessert featuring bananas. Super moist, this banana bar cake is delicious year round but really makes its splash in the spring time for picnics and parties.
If you have a pile of ripe bananas and are not sure what to do with them, this dessert recipe is sure to put them to great mouthwatering use.
Banana Bars Recipe
Frosted Banana bars are a dense and moist cake like dessert bar smothered in cream cheese and so delicious.
Bananas gone bad? Not a problem here! This is such a fantastic treat and kids will just eat these banana bars up!!
Scroll to the bottom for a printable version of this post, including all measurements and instructions, so you can follow along in your kitchen without being on your phone.
Here is what you need to gather to get started and then scroll to the recipe card for assembly and measurements:
- baking soda
- white sugar
- 2 eggs
- sour cream
- mashed ripe bananas (about 2-3 bananas)
- cream cheese frosting
Optional Banana Bar Variations
- Chocolate Chips – want a little chocolate in your banana bar? Add mini chocolate chips on top of the frosting OR add 1/2 a cup of chocolate chips into the banana batter
- Walnut Pieces – walnuts are often used in banana recipes like banana bread and banana cake. You can easily add walnut pieces to these banana bars or use as a finish to your cream cheese frosting
How to make Banana Bars
Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9 x 13 baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt and mix well. Seat aside.
Using a mixer, add butter and sugar and beat well, for 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
Fold in eggs, sour cream and vanilla and beat well.
Add bananas and mix well.
Fold in flour and beat just until mixed in.
Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.
Let cool completely before frosting.
Makes 24 squares
Frosting Banana Bars
Just like strawberry poke cake, you can use a 1 m frosting top and an 18 inch piping bag to put beautiful dollops and flowers of cream cheese frosting.
You can also simply spread out the frosting with a knife or a back of a spoon like I did with the banana pudding poke cake recipe.
If you take your time with the frosting, you can change the tips out and add mini star shapes as well!
Really the decorating is totally up to you and how much time you have.
If you have tried this recipe and have feedback, or altered it and made it delicious, I would love to hear about it in the comments!
Readers like you help improve my recipes as well as provide amazing ideas for people looking for them.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup, 1 stick, butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2-3 bananas)
- 1 tub, 16 oz, cream cheese frosting
- 9x13 baking sheet
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt and mix well. Set banana batter aside.
- Using a mixer, add butter and sugar and beat well, for around 3 minutes, until butter is light and fluffy.
- Fold in eggs, sour cream and vanilla into the butter bowl and beat well.
- Add mashed bananas to the same mixture and combine again.
- Dump in flour mixture and beat all ingredients just until mixed in.
- Pour banana bar batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.
- Let bars cool completely before frosting or the frosting will melt.
- To frost, use pre-made cream cheese frosting. You can easily use a piping bag and frosting tip to really dress up the top layer or simply spread on with a spatula.
- Makes 24 squares
OPTIONAL TOPPING: Top with walnuts pieces of fresh cut up bananas right before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 215Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 216mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 0gSugar: 22gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.