Did you know that you can add black beans to brownies? Eggless and oilless, these black bean brownies help substitute common ingredients for a denser and richer brownie recipe.
Extra fiber and only four ingredients, read below to see if this viral recipe hack is all it’s made out to be!
Why you should try this Viral Brownie Hack.
Healthier option – I use the term healthy loosely as anything that includes brownie mix cannot claim to be a healthy dessert recipe. But adding black beans in place of eggs and oil does take out some ingredients that many cannot tolerate while adding antioxidants.
Simple Ingredients – I am a big fan of simple, and this viral brownie recipe only needs four total ingredients, making this a sweet treat that doesn’t cost a lot to recreate.
No need for vanilla extract, cocoa powder, granulated sugar, or salt – just simply purchase premade boxed mix and get started!
Where did adding Black Beans to Brownies start?
In cooking, black beans have always been a substitute in baking goods for flour. This is a common choice for someone that cannot have flour goods but still want a treat!
The readers are a bit more conflicted. Many called the brownies ‘sus‘ or threatened to call the cops.
Either way, if you want to skip the eggs and oil (or are using a homemade recipe with flour), these were an exciting substitution we had to try. Babs also recommends using a disposable knife for a clean slice.
See the full black bean brownie video below:
- black beans – drained and rinsed out of the can.
- Cold coffee – coffee enhances chocolate and is used commonly in a homemade hot cocoa recipe.
- Boxed brownie mix
- powdered sugar for dusting top, optional but looks pretty.
How to make Black Bean Brownies.
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a 9×13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add black beans and 3 tablespoons of coffee to a blender and blend well.
- Add brownie mix, remaining coffee, and black beans to a mixing bowl and mix well by hand.
- Pour brownie recipe mix into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake according to package directions (usually 22-25 minutes).
- Let cool completely before cutting into squares.
- Top black bean brownies with powdered sugar before serving.
- Store any leftover brownies in an airtight container.
What do Black Beans in Brownie Mix Taste like?
Well, they taste like brownies. But they are dense and maybe a little rubbery? Not horrible rubbery but just a little different texture. They remind me of some sugar-free or keto/flourless brownies.
They have that sort of fudgy texture. You cannot taste the beans, and as you can see in the collage picture, some beans are not thoroughly chopped.
Also, you cannot taste the coffee, and coffee brings out the chocolate flavor. The beans, when blended, are thick, so I had to use a spoon to mix them better. The brownies are also relatively thin but if you are concerned, do not have a bean taste.
Again, adding beans is not horrible, indeed sweet and hit the spot, close, but not a typical, regular brownie.
Viral Dessert Recipes
- No, Skittles in popcorn doesn’t work, but this does.
- Use chocolate dipped strawberries to reveal the gender.
- The last cookie recipe you will ever need.
- TikTok’s Homemade Cosmic brownies recipe is a delicious throwback to your childhood.
- Tanghulu strawberries taste like an old-fashioned hard candy with fresh fruit.
- What exactly is in a booty dip recipe?
- Bold, beautiful viral cloud bread recipe helps keep you creative in the kitchen.
Connect with Us!