You may be thinking that hot cocoa could never be paired with coffee and be amazing, but you would be wrong. When “hot chocolate with a twist” went viral on TikTok and paired up coffee, cocoa, and condensed milk together, I could not understand how this hot cocoa recipe could stand up against whipped coffee.
I was WRONG. People…people…we have been making hot chocolate ALL kinds of wrong. THIS the best cocoa recipe…pretty much ever.
TikTok Hot Cocoa Grocery List
Before you get started on TikTok’s most famous hot cocoa recipe, make sure you have all the ingredients on hand.
- sweetened condensed milk
- milk chocolate chips – do not use semi-sweet for this beverage
- coffee – any brand coffee works for this but make sure its real coffee and not instant for the best flavor. I brew mine right from beans and its the best thing EVER.
- white milk
- mini marshmallows – if you can find them, dehydrated marshmallows are the BEST but they have been scarce this year, so mini marshmallows work fine.
Where did TikTok Hot Chocolate come from?
I have been seeing this recipe on my FYP page for a bit and definitely with some changes added (recipes are, after all, a lot of fun to change to personal taste buds). I tracked down the original source and you can see his video here.
How to make Homemade Hot Cocoa
This hot cocoa recipe does NOT include any instant cocoa. No hate, we all need instant cocoa for things like hot chocolate cocoa bombs, and not everyone wants to wait 30 minutes to enjoy a mug, but trust me, its worth it.
This cocoa is thick, rich, and sweet, just what you would expect and want in a hot chocolate on a cold winters night.
- In a saucepan, add milk, sweetened condensed milk, milk chocolate chips, and coffee (cold brew or regular hot coffee is fine).
- This is a no rush job! Being extra takes TIME. Heat on medium low, stirring every 5-10 minutes until cocoa is hot and melted, about 25-30 minutes total. I simply set my microwave timer in intervals and came in and stirred until complete.
What alcohol goes well with hot chocolate?
Boozy hot chocolate can be awesome around the holidays. Once your hot chocolate is made, to spike it up and make it more “adult”, add one of the following: Rum, Kahlua, Vanilla Vodka (or really any of the fall Vodka flavors), or even red wine.
What cookies are best with hot chocolate?
I would suggest a sugar cookie, butter cookie, or any cookie with mint.
What food items go best in hot cocoa like this?
Dunking can be the best part of hot chocolate, so try adding a chocolate spoon or peppermint spoon, marshmallows, whipped cream, candy cane or cinnamon stick. Plus, let’s not forget the spices! Try a bit of nutmeg, ground cinnamon, or pumpkin pie spice.
What breakfast goes well with hot chocolate?
As suspected, a sweet morning drink like this needs a sweet plate to complement it. Rarely is someone eating a hash brown breakfast casserole or a spinach mushroom casserole and downing a mug of chocolate. Try chocolate caramel cookie bars, French toast casserole or mini pancakes!
- 1 can, 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup coffee
- 4 cups white milk
- mini marshmallows
- Add sweetened condensed milk, cup of chocolate chips, coffee and milk to a large saucepan.
- Heat on medium low, stirring every 5-10 minutes until hot and melted, which takes about about 25-30 minutes for full melting and flavor. TIP: Set microwave timer for 10 minutes at a time.
- Serve cocoa immediately topped with mini marshmallows and whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 449Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 190mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 1gSugar: 55gProtein: 13g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.