This luscious Blueberry Breakfast Cake is a delicious way to bring in the blueberry picking season!
Packed with fresh blueberries and perfect as a pairing with your morning coffee (or dessert as well!) you can make and munch on this recipe for breakfast or even all week long.
The combination of lemon and blueberry is legend so do not forget to drizzle the homemade lemon glaze for a real treat!
Why you will Love these Breakfast Bars
Makes Breakfast Fun! Admittedly I kind of suck at eating breakfast. Two cups of coffee and then I’ll wait till lunch. Its not that I don’t like breakfast foods, its just that I get a bit lazy in the mornings and this gal and cereal do not mix. But the beautiful thing about this blueberry breakfast cake recipe is that its the breakfast that keeps on giving.
Perfectly pairs: Breakfast cake pairs well with coffee, OJ or a good old fashioned glass of milk and is incredibly easy to make. You could also add some hearty sausage and egg breakfast casserole to your morning.
Delicious topping: The lemon glaze is the perfect amount of sweet to really dress up the flavors and pairing a well known favorite, lemon and blueberry. Or simply leave the beautifully light sugary crunchy topping!
Blueberry Breakfast Cake
This Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Cake recipe was provided by my good friend Amanda, who lovingly prepared, tested, and photographed to share with the Salty Side Dish Audience! You can also try her Blueberry Cake Donut Recipe!
- unsalted butter
- lemon zest
- white sugar
- egg – room temperature
- vanilla extract
- baking powder
- blueberries – lightly tossed with a bit of flour
We like to keep the flavors simple, but you can also add just a drop or two of lemon juice if you want to bring out more flavors. Don’t go crazy, lemon juice in a glaze can be super powerful.
- powdered sugar
- heavy whipping cream
- lemon zest to top
How to make Blueberry Breakfast Bars
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare an 8×8 inch pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, add butter, ¾ cup sugar, and lemon zest.
- Cream together until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add half of the flour mixture into the wet mixture and mix until combined. Add in the remaining flour mixture and the milk; mix until well combined.
- In a small bowl, toss together the ¼ cup flour and blueberries until coated.
- Set aside.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Spread the batter into prepared pan, batter will be thick, and sprinkle the top with the 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes before cutting and serving. Lightly cover with foil and store on the counter.
- Prepare the glaze by mixing the powdered sugar and heavy cream, start with 2 tbsp. of cream and continue to add more until the desired consistency has been reached.
- Drizzle all over the top and sprinkle a little lemon zest on top.
- Blueberry Cornmeal Cake
- Blueberry Cake Donuts
- Crock Pot Blueberry Dump Cake
- Easy Blackberry Cobbler
- Red, white and blue Poke Cake
- Blueberry Jell-O Salad
For a richer blueberry breakfast bar, substitute milk for heavy whipping cream!
Connect with Us!
If you try this recipe, please leave a review in the comment section – Your review helps others and is appreciated. Ensure you never miss a new side dish recipe by following us on Pinterest and signing up for our recipe email list!