Blueberries and pineapples layered in Grape Jell-O is an old fashioned potluck dessert that brings something unique to the table.
The best part of these types of old fashioned cloud salads and sweetheart desserts, is that they are not your traditional cake or cupcakes and compliment other fun fluff salads like ambrosia salad and watergate salad quite well on a picnic table.
Why you will love this recipe
If you are looking for a simple yet unique dessert salad, look no further. The decadent and beautiful blueberry filling mixed with the Jell-O and crushed pineapple, is a simple sweet, yet filling, dessert salad that makes holidays feel so special.
Growing up, my grandmother was the queen on Jell-O salad – I don’t really know why they fell out of favor so much in the modern world, but they are still as striking and delicious now as they were when I was a kid.
✔Old Fashioned ✔ Cream Cheese Topping ✔ Creamy
One thing you do have to remember when you are working with gelatin, and this is regardless of what fruits or fillings you use, is that Jell-O salads like this blueberry one, need time to solidify the gelatin. That means its not a make and walk out the door – you have to prep the layers and put in the fridge and because it is Jell-O and has a cream cheese topping, it should also be served cold versus left out for long periods in the heat (as most desserts really are).
- grape Jell-O – This blueberry flavored so grape keeps the color and flavors the way they should be, however, this can be substituted for other colors and flavors.
- crushed pineapple – Make sure to use crushed pineapple and not pineapple chunks.
- blueberry pie filling – Find pie filling in the baking aisle in large cans.
- cream cheese – the best way to soften cream cheese is to pull it out and open the foil packaging on the counter. 15-20 minutes is usually enough to get it softened.
Use Cream Cheese Frosting recipe OR if you want something simple, just add on Cool Whip Topping.
How to make Blueberry Pineapple Dessert
Make sure to check out the printable recipe card for full step by step instructions and ingredients.
Mix together Jell-O and boiling water until completely dissolved, about 3 minutes.
Stir in pineapple and pie filling and mix well.
Pour into a 13 x 9 pan (not shown).
Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.
How to make Cream Cheese Topping
Add cream cheese, sour cream, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and beat well until smooth.
Spread frosting on top of blueberry layer.
Cover and refrigerate a MINIMUM of 1 hour or until ready to serve.
Serving Blueberry Jell-O Salad
Cut Blueberry Salad into 24 pieces and serve cold.
You can also top with whipped topping or if you want some crunch and color, add crushed pretzels, pecans, or walnuts.
- As noted, you can change your Jell-O flavors and pie fillings to be any combo you want – they have all kinds of jello options like raspberry, blueberry, strawberry – its endless. In my own blueberry Jell-O salad, I used Grape Jell-O, but if grape isn’t your thing, try it with raspberry Jell-O. Similarly, this recipe can easily be altered out of blueberries to use strawberry filling and strawberry Jell-O, etc. Just follow the same instructions and alter the flavors – its a forgiving recipe.
- Pie fillings have a bold sugary flavor, as well as a thickness, that you want this dessert salad to have. You can add 1/2 cup of fresh blueberries TO the mixture if you want, but do not replace with only fresh fruit or the salad will be missing the right texture and flavors. Fresh blueberries do not have the same consistency or flavor as pie filling.
- I have been asked before about a crust, you can definitely add a layered crust on the bottom with a graham cracker recipe or crushed pretzel mixes.
- You need to give this dessert plenty of time to set and the jell-o portion should have at least 2 hours, but does really well if you want to prep the night before.
No. Fluff salads are typically a side dish that include whipped topping and marshmallows like this blueberry lemon fluff salad here.
No, this jello salad is totally fine without the topping and quite delicious, but the sweet cream cheese does bring something special to it and also make it look more like a cake. Other topping ideas is regular whipped topping, pretzel topping or even crushed nuts like pecans.
A lot of times people wonder why this dish is called a salad. Traditionally salads do include raw vegetables like we are all used to, but in more modern times, this term also include using of gelatin (as in Jello) as well as fruit salads. Other terms are “blueberry congealed salad” but that sounds pretty….unappealing.
Have more Jell-O in your cabinet and want to whip it up? Try one of these other awesome Jell-O filled recipes!
Key Lime Jell-O Poke Cake – Easy Jello Poke cake with whipped topping and berries is an simple and fun July 4th poke cake – learn how to make perfect with red, white, and blue colors that look like beautiful fireworks.
Strawberry Poke Cake with Jell-O – Strawberry Poke Cake, with a delicious sweet center, is made with with tons of real strawberries and whipped topping. Truly one of the easiest recipes to bring your cake from boring to WOAH, poke cakes are designed to be a potluck or picnics best friend
Strawberry Pretzel Jell-O Salad – Strawberry Pretzel Jell-O Salad Recipe, a delicious triple layer dessert salad with sweet and salty pretzels, cream cheese center, and delicious jello with strawberries on top.
Red, white and Blue Jell-O Poke Cake – Easy Jello Poke cake with whipped topping and berries is an simple and fun July 4th poke cake – learn how to make perfect with red, white, and blue colors that look like beautiful fireworks.
Connect with Us!
Blueberry Jello Salad with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 boxes grape jello - 3 oz. each
- 3 cups boiling water
- 20 oz. crushed pineapple
- 21 oz. blueberry pie filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese - softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix together jello and boiling water until completely dissolved, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in un-drained crushed pineapple, can of blueberry pie filling and mix all ingredients really well.
- Pour blueberry jello mixture into a 9 x 13 pan.
- Refrigerate jello mixture for a minimum of 2 hours so salad can solidify properly – may need up to 3 hours.
- Combine cream cheese, sour cream, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and beat well until smooth, which makes a cream cheese frosting.
- Spread cream cheese frosting on top of blueberry layer.
- Cover dish and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until ready to serve.
- Cut Blueberry Salad into 24 pieces and serve cold.