This Cheesy Potato Casserole with Diced Potatoes and chicken, is a hearty, filling, and easy homemade casserole dish. We’ve got bacon, we’ve got cheese, we’ve got enough potatoes to keep you satisfied to breakfast.
Call it a main dish or a side dish, this dish is simply delicious.
Loaded Potato Casserole with Chicken
The key to this casserole recipe is prep.
Before going into the oven, your potatoes have to be softened and cut, your bacon needs to be cooked (i find that air fryer bacon is the easiest way to get that done) and your chicken has to also be cooked and diced.
This is also one of those recipes that is perfect to put together if you have left over chicken from a recipe the night before.
Add some Veggies! Try adding already steamed broccoli down for some color, cut up into bite sized pieces, and add to the casserole.
Scroll to the bottom for a printable version of this post, including all measurements and instructions, so you can follow along in your kitchen without being on your phone.
Here is what ingredients you need to gather to get started:
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- cheddar cheese
- sour cream
Potato Skin on or Skin off?
I left the skins on because I consider skins a baked potato! You could peel completely if you like it better. If you got that route, peel BEFORE you bake them down as they will be super hot otherwise.
How to get the perfect Diced Potato
Prep ahead – potatoes fall apart when they are hot (after all, that is how we get the mashed potato so easily).
To get started, I bake my potatoes in the microwave, poke with a fork, place on a plate and microwave for 5 minutes, flip and go for 5 minutes more. Add more time if they aren’t tender.
Cooling your cooked potato is the only way to get good clean cuts if evenly diced matters to you.
Either making them the night before you intend on baking the casserole and placing in the fridge, or simply letting cool in the fridge till you can touch them safely, is the best way to insure a super even diced cut.
Obviously this isn’t necessary for flavor, potatoes taste amazing any shape, so its totally up to you how you handle your potatoes and the presentation.
Chicken Potato Casserole
I don’t really know whether to call this chicken potato casserole, or loaded potato bake or cheesy chicken casserole with potatoes – pretty much everyone looks up different things online to find what they want.
I hope, however, that you are looking for a delicious baked casserole featuring filling, full russet potatoes, smothered with cheese and bacon and finished up with some chicken- a truly easy and delicious casserole dinner bake.
Let’s get cooking!
You can ready my instructions for this bake below or head to the very bottom for a condensed and easy to read recipe card that can also be printed.
- 8 Baking potatoes, baked and cooled
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and cubed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
- sour cream
- green onions (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Grease a 9x13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Your chicken should already be cooked and potatoes cooked and diced - this is the prep assuming all your ingredients are ready. Please see full recipe article if you need tips on softening potatoes.
- Slice cooked and cooled potatoes into 1" chunks and then into 1/2" pieces and place into prepared baking pan.
- Pour olive oil, already cooked and diced chicken and all spices from the recipe into dish and mix well.
- Top casserole with shredded cheese and cooked, crispy bacon.
- Bake chicken potato casserole for 20-25 minutes or until hot and cheese is melted.
- Prior to serving, top with sliced green onions (optional) and serve with a dollop of sour cream.