Smashed Red Potatoes in Oven, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and melted butter, for a delicious, filling side dish that cannot go wrong.
Parmesan Smashed Red Potatoes
These oven baked smashed potatoes with a sprinkling of Parmesan are so good that you may find you don’t need an additional meal along side them!
These are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside and the cheese adds a whole new level of deliciousness.
The best part of these potatoes is that you can season them simply, like I have, or smother in onions, butter, chives, seasoning salt, ranch powder- basically anyway you want and still have amazing, custom flavors.
I also highly suggest that before serving, you melt down some butter and drizzle on top. YUM.
Scroll to the bottom for a printable version of this post, including all measurements and instructions, so you can follow along in your kitchen without being on your phone.
Here is what ingredients you need to gather to get started:
- red potatoes
- olive oil
- Parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley
SERVING SIZE: These are small red potatoes, about 2″ in size. I put 15 on a large baking sheet and think 1-2 would be a serving size, but honestly I don’t know, so use your judgement.
RELATED RECIPES: Smashed Creamer Potatoes, Boiled Red Potatoes (Or Pressure Cooker Red Potatoes, Greek Style Potatoes, Oven Roasted Large Melting Potatoes, Bacon Wrapped Baby Red Potatoes, Diced Skillet Potatoes,
ALTERATIONS: Sprinkle a bit of garlic powder or even add minced garlic to your red potatoes, yum!
How to make Smashed Red Potatoes
Preheat oven to 425 before you get started with any prep.
Poke holes in the red potatoes with a fork.
Place potatoes on a microwave safe plate or into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 5 minutes.
Flip potatoes over and microwave for an additional 5 minutes or until soft.
Place potatoes onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
The Easiest Way to Smash Potatoes
Use a potato masher or the bottom of a cup to mash the potatoes so they are about 1/2″ thick.
Use a pastry brush to brush each side of the potato with olive oil.
Season with salt and pepper.
Bake for 14 minutes.
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and return to oven for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh parsley before serving.
I try to keep my conversation to a minimum in blog recipe posts, but Google hates that – so you can help me keep my recipes simple and still found by rating, leaving a comment or Pinning on Pinterest – all of which are signals to google that you found what you were looking for, WITHOUT the long conversation!
- 15 red potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Poke holes in the red potatoes with a fork for proper ventilation.
- Place potatoes on a microwave safe plate or bowl and microwave for 5 minutes.
- Flip potatoes over and microwave for an additional 5 minutes or until soft - depending on your microwave, this could be less.
- Place potatoes onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Use a potato masher or the bottom of a cup to mash the potatoes so they are about 1/2" thick.
- Use a pastry brush to brush each side of the potato with olive oil, which will help crisp up the skin.
- Season potato with salt and pepper ( you could also add other seasonings that you love at this stage)
- Bake smashed red potatoes for 14 minutes. Remember that timing in an oven largely depends on your oven - additionally gas ovens tend to run a bit hotter, so you may want to check potatoes for doneness around 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and return to oven for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove potatoes from oven and sprinkle with fresh parsley before serving.
Alterations: Sprinkle a bit of garlic powder or even add minced garlic to your red potatoes when you add the salt and pepper, yum!
Serve with melted butter drizzled on or on the side to dip.