Crock Pot Apple Dump cake is an easy, delicious, and holiday favorite slow cooker cake that requires nothing more than a dump and go! With apple pie filling and cake mix, this simple dessert tastes just like an apple pie- without the work. Complimentary to ice cream or on its own, the pecans add a great texture. Look no further!
Crockpot Dump Cake
One of the things I love about slow cooker or crock pot desserts is they are a set it and forget it. You can continue to make dinner (especially around Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays) and know that the dessert will be ready when you are. Dump cakes go way back. I imagine they got started because of moms like me that couldn’t make a perfect cake and just threw it all together and said “you will eat this and like it.”
The thing is, no matter how pretty a recipe is, if it doesn’t taste good, it wasn’t worth it. And no matter how ugly a recipe is, if it tastes good, then who cares! Dump cakes or dump desserts don’t always LOOK appetizing but I have honestly never had one that I just didn’t instantly love.
Crockpot Dump Cake
This Apple dump cake tastes just like apple pie and you will be oh so happy with each bite! Here is what you need to get started on this SO easy and BEST EVER dessert!
- Cake Mix – For this apple dump cake, I prefer using Yellow cake mix. You could almost certainly switch up your cake mix flavors to really what you love the most. Fruit is pretty complimentary to a lot of flavors so trying a Strawberry Cake mix with Cherry Pie Filling would be a super fun combination.
- Cinnamon & Nutmeg – You cant have a pie filling cake without pie filling spices! Depending on the dump cake you are making, pumpkin pie spice, clove and cardamom also make great choices.
- Butter – You need 1 stick of melted butter. Just put your butter in a bowl, put in the microwave for approximately 45 seconds. Be careful- the bowl and butter get really hot.
- Pie filling– For this Apple Dump cake you, of course, need Apple Pie filling. But once you go buy it you will recognize there are a LOT of great pie fillings to make dump cakes from! You can check out my blueberry dump cake here if that is one of your favorite fruits and I have a peach one publishing soon as well. I haven’t really stepped out of the fruit zone, but I really am ready to test out some chocolate or Oreo dump cakes too so I can be prepped for the holidays.
- Pecans – Pecans are the best holiday nut ever. You can buy them already chopped at the store or if you prefer to get fancy, oven baked candied pecans for a delicious homemade crunch that is out of this world!
- Vanilla ice cream – Vanilla is the most traditional ice cream flavor that compliments apple the best, but any caramel or pecan flavors, would also be amazing.
You will also need:
Nut Grinder -Anytime you are making recipes that include nuts, they can be a real hassle to chop up to the consistency that you need. Having a good nut grinder can really help out and while it seems like such a random kitchen gadget, can come in really handy during the holiday season. I suggest getting a nut grinder that also measures as you grind so you know you have exactly what you need.
Crock pots – I have 3 crock pots in my house so I can always have things cooking without having to check over them. They are great for side dishes, main dishes and desserts just like this one. Here are my three favorite crock pots.
- Crockpot 8 quart – I have one of these crock pot 8 quart slow cookers. It has the warm, low, and high button. It basically just runs till you turn it off and is pretty basic
- Hamilton Beach Slow Cooker – I have this slow cooker which allows me to set the time from 2, 4, 6, 8, or 10 hours of cooking time and what level. This one is great if you have a dish that really only needs a few hours of cooking time and do not want it to overcook.
Apple Dump Cake Recipe Instructions
- Dry Ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, add yellow cake mix, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well so all your dry ingredients are full incorporated and have no lumps.
- Wet Ingredients: Add melted butter and mix well. Set aside.
- Prep your slow cooker: Grease a 6 quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray (If you do not have one, here is a Crockpot 6 quart at a great price). There is nothing worse than trying to dig out your dump cake and your apples or peaches or crust are all stuck to the bottom. Cleaning crock pots are already no fun!
- Slow Cooker Time : To start, spread apple pie filling into the bottom of the slow cooker and then sprinkle crumbled cake mix on top.
- Dump Cake IMPORTANT Tip: Paper towel is the key to these types of recipes to catch the condensation on the lid. There is a picture below showing how to set this up! Place two layers of paper towel on top of the slow cooker and cover with the lid. This helps grab the condensation so it doesn’t leak back down into your cake.
- Cook: Heat on high for 3 hours.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream (I am partial to Breyers Vanilla) and feel free to drizzle with a little caramel!
Dump Cake Recipes
Dump desserts really are so easy and once you try this apple dump cake, you may be looking for more! Here are a few that also look amazing!
- 3 Ingredient Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake – This chocolate cherry dump cake takes all the rich classics and pours into one! Plus, since its by Betty Crocker, you know its yummy
- Oreo Dump Cake – I love me some Oreos and this Oreo dump cake is PERFECT and did I mention, easy?
Read for Thanksgiving? Here are my favorite Thanksgiving recipes to round out your menus for the season.
- Apple Pie Fluff Salad – Love apples? Me too! This apple pie fluff dessert is rich in all the right ways.
- Cinnamon Carrots (Slow Cooker) – great side dish for the holiday
- Appetizer Potatoes – baby red potatoes wrapped in bacon for a perfect pre-meal snack
- Broccoli Cheese Casserole – It wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without a broccoli cheese casserole to go!
- Pea Salad – a top recipe on SSD, this pea salad gets better the colder it gets. SUCH a great make ahead salad!