Looking for an incredibly easy and delicious dinner recipe that the whole family will love? Look no further than the crockpot chicken enchilada casserole.
This enchilada casserole is served over rice instead of inside a corn tortilla and has an incredibly delicious flavor.
This viral recipe has taken the internet by storm, and for good reason. With simple ingredients and the convenience of a slow cooker, you can enjoy the taste of perfectly cooked enchiladas over rice without the hassle.
Get that slow cooker ready, round up those tasty ingredients, and brace yourself for a weeknight meal destined to earn a spot on your family’s favorite list!
Why you’ll love this enchiladas recipe
Ease and Simplicity: One of the reasons why readers adore this recipe is that it doesn’t require any browning or rolling in traditional enchilada recipes.
Versatility: Like most Mexican recipes, customize these enchiladas with your family’s favorite ingredients and toppings, such as sour cream, green onions, or fresh cilantro.
Time Saver: Let the slow cooker do its magic while you enjoy your time elsewhere.
- Skinless Chicken: 6 boneless chicken thighs
- Spices: A blend of garlic powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper
- Enchilada Sauce: Two 10-ounce cans (it’s OK to make homemade enchilada sauce if you have a favorite recipe)
- Beans & Veggies: Drained corn and rinsed black beans (15.25 oz and 15.5 oz cans, respectively) plus a chopped medium onion for a hearty mix
- Cheese: 2 cups of shredded Colby Jack or Mexican Blend Cheese
- Serve over cooked white rice or tortilla chips.
If you are looking for another wonderful Mexican dinner that can be made in a slow cooker or oven, try Salsa Chicken.
How to make Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Spray the slow cooker with cooking spray. Or, for a straightforward cleanup, use a crockpot liner (life-changing).
- Add chicken thighs in a single layer inside a slow cooker.
- Top thighs with garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Pour canned enchilada sauce, drained corn, rinsed black beans, and chopped onion on top. Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours.
- When cooking is complete, use two forks to shred the chicken and mix everything well.
- Add shredded cheese directly to the crockpot for about 15 minutes, let it melt, and then serve over rice with your favorite toppings.
Serving unrolled chicken enchiladas
You can serve the chicken enchilada mixture in several ways.
- Tortilla Chips: Serve alongside or on top of corn chips.
- Shells: Stuff premade taco shells or flour tortillas with enchilada mix.
- Rice: Serve the mixture in bowls over cooked rice.
- Transfer to the oven. The other option is to place rice in the bottom of a casserole dish or a 9×13 baking pan. Top with the cooked enchilada chicken mixture and top with lots of cheese. Broil for 3 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
What To Serve With Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Pairing them with tasty Mexican side dishes for extra flavor is always good when serving enchiladas. Here are some mouthwatering options that we love and will turn this recipe into a complete meal:
Beans: Whether it’s black beans, pinto beans, or refried beans, beans are a tasty option to serve alongside your chicken enchiladas. They add an extra layer of creaminess and texture for the perfect meal.
- Time out slow cooker refried beans to finish at the same time.
Corn Salad: A refreshing and tangy corn salad is a great option to balance the richness of the enchiladas. The combination of roasted corn adds color to your plate.
Our corn recipe picks are:
Cilantro Lime Rice: Similar to Mexican rice but with a vibrant twist, cilantro lime rice brings a zingy and fragrant flavor to your delicious meal.
The fluffy rice, fragrant cilantro, and zesty lime juice make it a fantastic pairing for chicken enchiladas.
Recipe Adaptations and Suggestions
There are many ways to adapt and customize the recipe to suit your tastes and dietary needs regarding slow cooker chicken enchilada casserole.
While this casserole recipe calls for skinless chicken thighs, you can easily swap them out for boneless chicken breasts. There typically is no timing change in this. You can pound them or cut them in half with extra-thick chicken breasts.
If you’re short on time or prefer shortcuts, there are a few tricks you can try. Instead of making your own spice blend, use a premade taco seasoning mix to add flavor to the chicken.
You can also save time by using frozen diced onions and bell peppers instead of chopping them yourself, or skip the crock pot entirely and warm up the ingredients with premade rotisserie chicken and serve.
FAQs about Crockpot Enchilada Casserole
How spicy are these enchiladas?
The spiciness of this chicken casserole can be adjusted to suit your taste. Add chili powder or a dash of pepper flakes while slow cooking, or sprinkle some hot sauce or salsa on top for a spicier kick before serving.
How long should I cook the enchiladas in the slow cooker?
Depending on your slow cooker model, the cooking time for these enchiladas can vary.
For boneless chicken breasts or thighs, set the slow cooker to low for 6–8 hours or high for 3–4 hours.
————–>This is the crockpot brand we use in our house.
More Slow Cooker Recipes We Love
Are you looking for another easy slow-cooker meal? We’ve got you covered! These flavorful dishes are perfect for busy weeknight dinners and will satisfy the whole family.
Crockpot Lipton Chicken and Potatoes: This crockpot chicken recipe requires only a few simple ingredients, resulting in a satisfying and flavorful dish.
Don’t limit yourself to just chicken!
Consider trying slow cooker beef cube steak for a change of pace. Tender cube steak is cooked in a flavorful gravy, resulting in a melt-in-your-mouth meal.