Are you ready to simplify your weeknight dinner routine with a mouthwatering, one-pot meal? Look no further than our recipe for Crockpot Rice and Chicken.
This family-friendly dish is incredibly easy to prepare and packs traditional flavors everyone will adore. Plus, the best part? You don’t even need to precook the rice!
So, let’s dive into this fuss-free dinner dish and discover how to make a delicious Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice casserole that will become an instant family favorite.
Why You’ll Love Making a Cheesy Chicken Crockpot Recipe
Here’s why your entire family will adore this creamy chicken delight:
Easy Prep, Minimal Effort: One of the primary reasons to love making a Cheesy Chicken Crockpot recipe is its simplicity.
With just a few simple ingredients and a trusty slow cooker, you can create a mouthwatering meal that will leave your family asking for seconds.
Family-Friendly Flavors: Cheese and chicken are a classic combination that appeals to the taste buds of both young and old.
This dish’s creamy, cheesy goodness will satisfy even the pickiest eaters in your family, making it a crowd-pleaser.
Perfect for Busy Weeknights: After a long day of work or school, the last thing you want is to spend hours in the kitchen. This recipe allows you to whip up a wholesome dinner with minimal effort well before its due.
- Dry, uncooked chicken and herb rice
- Canned cream of chicken soup
- Low-sodium chicken broth
- Diced onions and bell peppers
- boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Garlic powder, poultry seasoning, ground pepper, and salt
- Shredded Colby jack cheese
How to Make Crockpot Chicken and Rice
Note: You can prep the Crock-Pot by using cooking spray or by adding a slow cooker insert for instant cleanup.
- Begin by placing the dry rice in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Next, add the cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, diced onions, and bell peppers. Mix everything until well combined. As a note, bell peppers and onions are optional.
- Now, add the raw chicken breast on top of the uncooked rice mixture.
- Don’t be shy with the seasoning; generously sprinkle garlic powder, salt, and pepper over the chicken.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and set it to high heat. Allow it to cook for 3 hours (could be 3.5 hours if the chicken is thick) or until the chicken is perfectly done. Monitor the edges to ensure they don’t brown too much.
- Once the chicken is cooked, give the mixture a good stir. You can add additional broth if you prefer a creamier mixture.
- Top it off with a generous layer of shredded Colby Jack cheese.
- Cover the slow cooker with the lid again and let it heat on high for 10–15 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Your Crockpot Chicken and Rice is now ready to be served, and your family will love it!
Check the temperature: Invest in a meat thermometer and insert it into the thickest part of the chicken. The internal temperature should reach at least 165°F (73.9°C) for poultry.
When the chicken hits this temperature, this family-friendly meal can be eaten.
Variations on Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice:
Want to switch things up? Here are some variations to consider:
Swap Cream of Chicken Soup: Try using cream of celery soup or cream of mushroom soup for a different flavor profile that’s creamy and slightly tangy.
Tender Chicken Thighs: Using chicken thighs in this recipe ensures that your chicken remains tender, juicy, and flavorful. The slow cooker works magic to transform these cuts into succulent pieces that practically melt in your mouth.
Substitute Cheese: Instead of Colby Jack, try shredded cheddar cheese or Parmesan cheese for a distinct and bold flavor.
Fresh Herbs: Adding fresh parsley or sliced green onions as a topping is a great way to bring color to the dish.
Remember, these are just suggestions; feel free to mix and match to create your unique twist!
Storing Chicken and Rice Leftovers
Follow these steps to enjoy this delicious meal as a leftover:
- Transfer the leftovers to an airtight container.
- Refrigerate the chicken and rice for up to three days, remembering to label the container with the date for reference.
- It does thicken/dry up as it sets, so if you reheat, it will need some extra liquid. Just add a splash of water or chicken broth to make the rice less sticky.
What is considered a casserole?
Call this recipe chicken and rice or a chicken and rice casserole, but casseroles are just dishes that are layered or mixed in the same dish for a complete meal.
More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
Are you looking to diversify your chicken dinner options?
Try our favorite slow cooker chicken recipes:
- Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Casserole: A crowd-pleaser combining tender chicken, gooey cheese, and zesty enchilada sauce
- Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings: A comforting bowl of tender chicken, fluffy dumplings, and flavorful broth ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Slow Cooker Parmesan Garlic Chicken: A simple yet flavorful dish featuring garlic, Parmesan cheese, and juicy chicken
- Slow Cooker Olive Garden Chicken Pasta: A must-try for fans of Olive Garden’s chicken pasta with tender chicken, al dente pasta, and creamy sauce